Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

COMBOFIX prevents my laptop from booting

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dialac1

dialac1

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 14 January 2010 - 10:21 PM

I use Windows Vista 32bit on a Sony VAIO FW laptop...I used combofix today to try to remove a google virus that redirects me to advertising webstes...Whe I ran Combofix for the first time, it took over my computer, restarted it and now my computer does not get past a blue screen...I'm having the same problem, when i restart my computer, it shows the Sony VAIO logo and then the blue screen and this is the error message

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

STOP: 0x000000D1

I cannot get to the command prompt using Safemode with command prompt...I cannot even find the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console...

When I restart again and press f8, I choose REPAIR YOUR COMPUTER and I enter my administrator password and can then go into command prompt...The command prompt is in X:\ and not C:\

I dont know what to do from here...Any help will be appreciated...my suspicion is that when I ran Combofix, it affected one of the drivers used in the booting process and now my laptop cannot boot anymore

PLEASE HELP!!!

Edit: Moved topic from Vista to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 14 January 2010 - 10:30 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,599 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 16 January 2010 - 03:06 PM

I cannot even find the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console...

Vista doesnt have Recovery Console, it has the Recovery envrionment, which is slightly different.

First, you will need to access the Vista Recovery Environment.
To do so, restart your computer and begin tapping the F8 key to enable the Advanced Start menu.
If the option 'Repair your computer' is available, select it.

If not available, you will need to insert your Vista installation dvd and restart, then press any key when prompted to boot from the cd.
At the Install Windows screen, select Repair your computer. (image below)

Posted Image

Once you get to the System Recovery Options screen, first take note of the drive letter assigned to the operating system, then select Command Prompt.

Let me know if you could do these steps. Otherwise I will give you other instructions :thumbsup:

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

animinionsmalltext.gif

#3 dialac1

dialac1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 17 January 2010 - 11:09 AM

I cannot even find the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console...

Vista doesnt have Recovery Console, it has the Recovery envrionment, which is slightly different.

First, you will need to access the Vista Recovery Environment.
To do so, restart your computer and begin tapping the F8 key to enable the Advanced Start menu.
If the option 'Repair your computer' is available, select it.

If not available, you will need to insert your Vista installation dvd and restart, then press any key when prompted to boot from the cd.
At the Install Windows screen, select Repair your computer. (image below)

Posted Image

Once you get to the System Recovery Options screen, first take note of the drive letter assigned to the operating system, then select Command Prompt.

Let me know if you could do these steps. Otherwise I will give you other instructions :thumbsup:

Hi Elise025,
I tried your suggestion and it still did not fix it. So what I ended up doing was using my harddrive and backing up the files on my computer through the REPAIR YOUR COMPUTER option, then after that, I just did a C:\ recovery...that is all I could do because I needed my laptop for school...it took me forever to reinstall all my softwares but I think it was the only way I could get anything done...

Thanks for your response

#4 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,599 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 17 January 2010 - 01:58 PM

Okay, glad you got it fixed!

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

animinionsmalltext.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users