Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black Screen After Malwarebytes Removal/Restart

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 brightond

brightond

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 14 January 2010 - 10:04 PM

Hello,

I have used malwarebytes (in safe mode) to successfully remove a computer riddled with the dreaded "windows security alert-pop-up and try to make you pay money to buy fake spy-ware removal-virus."

I now keep it on peoples computers and run the update and scan periodically to keep the spy-ware at bay.

Yesterday, I ran this software on a stable computer running xp and found a few (3) security objects, a log was created (which i paid no attention to) and a restart was performed.

Upon restart I received the Dell Bios screen for a few seconds F2=Setup F12=Boot something and then a blank BLACK SCREEN with a blinking cursor!

I powered down several times (12 or so) to the exact same result.

I tried to get into the F2,F12 screen without luck as well. I finally popped in the Windows XP disc and was able to get the thing to load the windows startup.

I chose to install (not repair at first,) agreed with F8 to the agreement and then chose to repair the copy of windows it had found.

I made it all the way through the installation disc, entered in the key etc and then at restart.............BLACK SCREEN...blinking cursor!

I am at a loss on how to proceed. If anyone knows what has happened hear please share some advice here. I need to get this thing fixed ASAP>

Thank you for your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2010 - 10:13 PM

Black screen, blinking cursor...is typically indicative of a need to run the fixmbr command from the XP Recovery Console.

Black Screen (fixmbr) - http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;314503

Louis

#3 brightond

brightond
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2010 - 08:06 AM

Thanks for your response.

I read the microsoft article attached but don't think it has the solution. The article seems to have conflicting information...."you need the windows xp cd rom.....start the computer in safe mode" I am not sure where the cd rom comes into play in Method 1.

I can not start the computer in safe mode! If i am missing something in their instructions please let me know.

Method 2 I already tried and did not work.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2010 - 11:07 AM

There is no connect between the steps as outlined.

The safe mode check is done to look at the existing partitions...the AV scan can be run by various methods (connecting the hard drive to a second system, using a bootable program which includes AV functionality, etc.

The fixmbr command is run from the Recovery Console, which has nothing to do with safe mode or the bootability of the system.

Louis

#5 brightond

brightond
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2010 - 07:25 PM

ok, i will use the windows recovery to perform the fixmbr. I didn't like that part about "if your computer has a virus the fixmbr may make the computer inoperable!"

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2010 - 07:55 PM

What part did you not like?

Doing anything on a computer system...always involve the risk of system failure. Downloading, copying files, etc. It's the nature of the mechanism.

I believe that malware has already made your system unuseable, so I don't think you have anything to fear from the fixmbr command.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users