Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random, Windows-7, System Crash , Halo ce & CE

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 PCwarrior

PCwarrior

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 14 January 2010 - 09:41 PM

I built the system in my signature recently (12/09). It has winged through the game Crysis and plays Hell Gate London both on high settings. I was able to load TombRaider Anniversary Ed. ( compatablity: XP sp3), all with no system failures (aside from end game Crysis carrier glitch).
So looking at windows compatability list I found an old joy, Halo ce listed as compatable. So I set to the task of installing.
I put the game on a non-C drive partition running the install in compatability mode. Not putting the game on the main partition, may have been a major mistake. IDK? Being a older game, and that the system is over rated specs wise for it, I hoped to not load up my main partition at that time.
The game needed updating of its auto update feature and many patches and security updates. Once all that was done, I entered the game and set to go online combatant. Every thing ran(runs) smooth and I went to settings to mingle a bit with the game. There I
set all the eye candy to wonderfull and went to play.
Game play goes well for about 20 min.(depending on settings) with a few players jousting and all. The game play is the best I've ever experienced in the game visualy and frame rate. The session ends , and a new begins without a hitch. Then after a few ( 4-10 min) moments pass,

The monitor goes to what looks like a single color national warning system, vertical line pattern. Thin graidient verticle lines, all one tone.
The sound goes into loop mode? playing the same few seconds over and over.
No cursor is available.
and nothing( command wise) seams to want to break the cycle. I let the system ride this course for about a min or two once, and got a message saying Halo had stopped responding and that the OS would go(online) to find a correction. I let it, and as my usual experience, I found no relief. The response listed two files(bmp and one other) generated, that I traced and could not open without windows diagnostic tools. And those sound like loads of fun to use.( How about a simple system log)
I have tried lots of things to fix this issue , and have come up zero.
My drivers ( MoBo, Sound, VGA ) all are at the newwest updates. I have tried compat. modes of many flavors( all XP, 2000,98, service pack stages). Some tweaking of my VGA settings. I've run system monitors to check temps and CPU usage while in game. All system specs. check fine(software monitors).
There was a Halo system panel that came up after initial install that said system memory was low. I didn't disable the message, but clicked continue anyways?? I have not seen the message again( some 20+ boots into game later).

The system recognizes my 8 g of ram, and I don't seam to have a limited amount of hard drive space for virtual memory(but havnt found that setting in W-7 yet) so I'm not sure what the game message was about. Higher in game settings, seam to cause this problem to happen sooner.

I'm willing to try over again, software wize, but thought I'd ask here first. (yes its a owned copy of Halo, lol)
Thanks for the read.
Any Ideas?
(new,12/23/09) ASUS Crosshair III, Phenom IIx4 955 Blk Ed, Zalman 9500 HS, Saphire 5770 vga, W-7/64bit, 8g/Corsair/1600 RAM, 850w HX Corsair PSU, WD CB/500gb HD, Pioneer CD/DVD, Smilodon/Dirk-Tooth(modded), All custom&controlled fans. Shhhh lol :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PCwarrior

PCwarrior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 15 January 2010 - 10:26 PM

Well I went to Bungies , The creator of Halos site and followed the setting recomendations. Now the game really works well. I had set many settings in CCC (ati controls) that conflicted with the game engine. Anti-aliasing needed to be turned off on the Vid card, and I switched to NO VSYNC mode in game settings.
I spent alot of time in game today. The first hour at 800x600 default type rez. Then I switched to my monitor & VGA max settting and all still stable.
Thanks to all for the read. Hope it helps others.
(new,12/23/09) ASUS Crosshair III, Phenom IIx4 955 Blk Ed, Zalman 9500 HS, Saphire 5770 vga, W-7/64bit, 8g/Corsair/1600 RAM, 850w HX Corsair PSU, WD CB/500gb HD, Pioneer CD/DVD, Smilodon/Dirk-Tooth(modded), All custom&controlled fans. Shhhh lol :)

#3 sotoj159

sotoj159

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 16 January 2010 - 12:37 PM

yea, i have problems playing mine also, but i'll try what bungie says....

#4 sotoj159

sotoj159

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 16 January 2010 - 12:48 PM

holy crap...halo ce is working now?? i didnt even do what bungie says yet....

ok, so here's the story: i got windows 7 like a week ago and installed it fine. then tried installing halo ce, but wouldnt work. So tried installing windows xp on a partition, but couldnt. Then i tried doing a clean install of xp, then installing win7....for that, i formatted my hdd, but win xp wouldnt install...so i ended up installing win7 again. and since then, i hadn't bothered installing halo ce until just now when i read about the bungie thing...so i install it, and i run it, just to see what's up, and .....it works....i didnt even do anything....weird..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users