Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

system32/drivers

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Miata Guy

Miata Guy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 14 January 2010 - 12:16 PM

Hi, Same issue here have been working on it for a few days, same files and same scan results
any help would be great, need to get back to work on this computer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Miata Guy

Miata Guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2010 - 03:28 PM

Genius..
Malware found it and deleted it. however.. AVG still sees it as being there.. not sure why.
result was that missing/hidden folders have now returned to my explorer folders.
so i think it must be gone..

can anyone tell me what the potential damage is, searches turn up only vague possbilities.

is/was this a keylogger/ or backdoor do i need to change passwords.
as they are stored in FF ?

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,220 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2010 - 09:09 PM

@Miata Guy
I meant to tell you and Pikalax to start your own topics as this is now confusing to graydj.. So I will split yours into a new Topic in this forum.. With this TiTle .. system32/drivers

Hi, Ok keyloggers
Keystroke logging (often called keylogging) is the practice of tracking(or logging) the keys struck on a keyboard, typically in a covert manner so that the person using the keyboard is unaware that their actions are being monitored.

A backdoor Trojan can allow an attacker to
gain control of the system, log keystrokes, steal passwords, access personal
data, send malevolent outgoing traffic, and close the security warning
messages displayed by some anti-virus and security programs.

I would advise you to disconnect this PC from the Internet, and then go to
a known clean computer and change any passwords or security information held
on the infected computer. In particular, check whatever relates to online
banking financial transactions, shopping, credit cards, or sensitive
personal information. It is also wise to contact your financial institutions
to apprise them of your situation.

We will do our best to clean the computer of any infections seen on the log.
However, because of the nature of this Trojan, I cannot offer a total
guarantee that there are no remnants left in the system, or that the
computer will be trustworthy.

Many security experts believe that once infected with this type of Trojan,
the best course of action is to reformat and reinstall the Operating System.
Making this decision is based on what the computer is used for, and what
information can be accessed from it.

I am still concerned that this may be a rootkit.
system32/drivers/atapi

Rootkits, backdoor Trojans, Botnets, and IRC Bots are very dangerous because they compromise system integrity by making changes that allow it to by used by the attacker for malicious purposes. Rootkits are used by Trojans to conceal its presence (hide from view) in order to prevent detection of an attacker's software and make removal more difficult. Many rootkits can hook into the Windows 32-bit kernel, and patch several APIs to hide new registry keys and files they install. They can disable your anti-virus and security tools to prevent detection and removal. Remote attackers use backdoors as a means of accessing and taking control of a computer that bypasses security mechanisms. This type of exploit allows them to steal sensitive information like passwords, personal and financial data which is send back to the hacker. To learn more about these types of infections, you can refer to:

What danger is presented by rootkits?
Rootkits and how to combat them
r00tkit Analysis: What Is A Rootkit

We Need to check for Rootkits with RootRepeal
  • Download RootRepeal from the following location and save it to your desktop.
  • Extract RootRepeal.exe from the archive (If you did not use the "Direct Download" mirror).
  • Open Posted Image on your desktop.
  • Click the Posted Image tab.
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • Check all seven boxes: Posted Image
  • Push Ok
  • Check the box for your main system drive (Usually C:), and press Ok.
  • Allow RootRepeal to run a scan of your system. This may take some time.
  • Once the scan completes, push the Posted Image button. Save the log to your desktop, using a distinctive name, such as RootRepeal.txt. Include this report in your next reply, please.

Edited by boopme, 14 January 2010 - 09:16 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users