Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do you disconnect from a company network?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 indolence

indolence

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 14 January 2010 - 07:14 PM

How do you change/disconnect computer settings from a company's network settings that you no longer connect to?

Background story:

My dad's computer used to connect to his company network every time he logged in but he no longer works for them. He still uses the computer but it still has the settings as if it was still connected to the network. It won't let the computer update via Windows Update website (he still has SP2). It says "Network policy settings prevent you from using this website to get updates for your computer" on the website.

I also went to PCPitstop to scan his computer and they offered some suggestions to optimize his computer. I could not do some of them (like update to SP3) because of the network restrictions.

I looked up ways to bypass the Windows Update so i could atleast do that but the website still does not have permission.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2010 - 09:56 PM

there is a virtual basic file for download that will change two registry settings. you can view the file in notepad to see which changes it makes.
i would do a system restore before making these changes. script available at http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp...d_netpolicy.htm

#3 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 15 January 2010 - 10:08 AM

Was it part of a Domain? If you have administrator rights you can right click my computer-properties-computer name- change. Change it back to a workgroup to remove it from the domian. The rest of the settings are part of the group policy. You can access that by start-run-type"mmc"- okay. File-add remove snap in- add- group policy(local computer should be your only option)-close-okay. Most of what you are looking for should be in the user config-administrative portion. Most if not all of these should be set to "not configured" for the standard homePC with no limitations.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2010 - 11:53 AM

I am willing to bet to get the PC to work properly, you'll need to format and install Windows. I could be wrong on this but if the company gave him the PC then they passed on the OS license as well. Since its the CD key that makes windows work legally then you just need to write down the key that is stored on the PC and get your hands on a XP cd. Use the code you wrote down when it asks and it should be fine.

You can use this to find the key.

If I'm wrong about the license then sorry. But what I said will still work.

Edited by CaveDweller2, 15 January 2010 - 12:04 PM.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 yahaya wadud

yahaya wadud

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2015 - 11:37 AM

How do i disconnect a company network

#6 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 05 January 2015 - 12:17 PM

yahaya you should start your own thread not bring one up that is 4 years old.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users