Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vundo Trojan fills my hard drive

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 barbw427

barbw427

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 14 January 2010 - 07:01 PM

I am getting a message from McAfee that a Trojan has been detected that cannot be quarantined.

Vundo.gen.ab

I found a guide on Bleeping Computer on removing Vundo, but am having trouble.

My hard drive keeps filling up. As soon as I delete something, I get a message stating that I am out of disk space. I also cannot even get IE to open up any more. I was finally able to copy over rkill.com from another computer and am trying to run it. The first couple times I ran it, an error mesage came up stating that an unknown error was found and the program would be terminated. I started rkill a third time at it is still running, so maybe it will get through this time.

My next step is to run MBAM, but I don't know how I will ever get it copied over with my hard drive space issue. Can I run it from an external drive, or does it have to be on the computer's desktop?

Thanks for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 trev47

trev47

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2010 - 11:11 PM

Hi,
since you have another machine to use. Disconnect the infected machine from the network. At the other machine you will need to download a couple of files.
ATF cleaner from http://www.atribune.org/index.php?option=c...5&Itemid=25
Malwarebytes from http://malwarebytes.org/

Copy these files to disc (CD preferably). Take them to the infected machine and do the following:
Run Rkill
Run ATF Cleaner by double-clicking
Select All and click "empty selected"

When finished install Malwarebytes and update it. Run a quick scan. Remove any infections found and post the results in your next reply. Reboot the PC when instructed.

#3 barbw427

barbw427
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2010 - 12:06 PM

I was finally able to get Malwarebytes installed and run.

Below are the results of my quick scan:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.44
Database version: 3458
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702

1/16/2010 11:13:12 AM
mbam-log-2010-01-16 (11-13-12).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 156056
Time elapsed: 21 minute(s), 4 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 1
Registry Keys Infected: 1
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 4
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 21

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\mavikumo.dll (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Delete on reboot.

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{1d4db7d2-6ec9-47a3-bd87-1e41684e07bb} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\LSA\Notification Packages (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Data: mavikumo.dll -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\FirewallDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\UpdatesDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\bozugozu.dll (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\fotuvoyi.dll (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\gitenayi.dll (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\goyukuyu.dll (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\husovetu.dll (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\kopohoyo.dll (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\kuwovogi.dll (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\linomini.dll (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\mavikumo.dll (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\mubegofe.dll (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\pebirodi.dll (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\pozapevi.dll (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\silasosa.dll (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\tokurepa.dll (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\vabekame.dll (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\vudatedi.dll (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wubepali.dll (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\yerodovo.dll (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\yinazeku.dll (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\zakubigu.dll (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\zudijovu.dll (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

#4 trev47

trev47

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2010 - 01:59 PM

Good that you got MBAM running! Now do the following.

Great directions from boopme for SAS and ATF cleaner
Next run ATF and SAS: If you cannot access Safe Mode,run in normal ,but let me know.

Note: On Vista, "Windows Temp" is disabled. To empty "Windows Temp" ATF-Cleaner must be "Run as an Administrator".

From your regular user account..
Download Attribune's ATF Cleaner from http://www.atribune.org/index.php?option=c...5&Itemid=25
and then SUPERAntiSpyware, Free Home Version from http://www.superantispyware.com/?rid=3324 Save both to desktop ..
DO NOT run yet.
Open SUPER from icon and install and Update it
Under Scanner Options make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
Close browsers before scanning.
Scan for tracking cookies.
Terminate memory threats before quarantining.
Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen and exit the program. DO NOT run yet.

Now reboot into Safe Mode: How to enter safe mode(XP)
Using the F8 Method
Restart your computer.
When the machine first starts again it will generally list some equipment that is installed in your machine, amount of memory, hard drives installed etc. At this point you should gently tap the F8 key repeatedly until you are presented with a Windows XP Advanced Options menu.
Select the option for Safe Mode using the arrow keys.
Then press enter on your keyboard to boot into Safe Mode.

Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main "Select Files to Delete" choose: Select All.
Click the Empty Selected button.

If you use Firefox or Opera browser click that browser at the top and choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.

NOW Scan with SUPER
Open from the desktop icon or the program Files list
On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
Perform a Complete scan. After scan,Verify they are all checked.
Click OK on the summary screen to quarantine all found items.
If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes" and reboot normally.

To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log.
A text file will open in your default text editor.
Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
Click Close to exit the program.

Post the results from the above scans, re-connect the computer to the network and do the following.

Next run a scan at http://www.eset.com/onlinescan/ and post the results.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users