Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

problems with Windows XP format and reinstall

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 winker12

winker12

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 14 January 2010 - 05:53 PM

I had a virus that I was trying trying get rid. After working with Elise and determining it was very nasty, I decided to do a format and reinstall. During the process, I must have done something wrong. When I reboot, it takes around a minute to get past the Dell Screen-with F2 for setup, F12 for Boot Menu. This used to take a matter of seconds. Then it comes to what looks like a dos screen with the ROM Bios version and Dell info. It also states Primary Drive 1 not found and under that Secondary Drive not found. Strike F1 to continue F2 to run setup. When you press F1, it gives you the option to select 2 different Windows XP's. The first one boots up, the second one doesn't. Once it boots up, everything is fine except I have an external usb harddrive that won't work. I think the hd is ok. It's been off and I turned it on and it did show new hdware found but you look for it in my computer and it doesn't exist. I checked computer mngmnt. and it list disk0, disk1, and disk3-which is it. It also shows it as being unallocated. Any advice would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 14 January 2010 - 06:01 PM

What is the model number of your computer and how did you do the format and reinstall?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 winker12

winker12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2010 - 06:24 PM

It's a Dell Dimension 3000. I used the Windows Xp Home disk to reformat and reinstall. When I did the reformat, it got to a point where it asked me to do something about a partition and I believe that's where I went wrong. Anyways, it got to a point where it hung and I put a Western Digital disk in and it brought it up and finished. When it was finished, I tried to do a reformat and reinstall again thinking it would get rid of the other install and this one would be ok.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2010 - 06:49 PM

Try this:

Reboot the computer.

When the Dell splash screen appears during the computer startup process, press and hold <Ctrl> and then press <F11>. Then, release both keys at the same time.

In the Dell PC Restore by Symantec window, click Restore. Alternatively, press <Tab> to highlight Restore, and then press <Enter>.

When a warning message appears stating that all data will be lost, click Confirm, or press <Tab> to highlight Confirm and then press <Enter>.

The Progress window will appear. Once the restore process starts, Dell PC Restore by Symantec usually takes about 8 to 10 minutes to finish.

When the restore process is complete, the following message will appear: "The system recovery process was successful."

Click Finish or press <Tab> to highlight Finish and then press <Enter> to restart the computer.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 winker12

winker12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2010 - 07:05 PM

How long do I hold the ctrl and F-11? The Dell splash usually will stay up for close to a minute.
Will I lose anything that I reloaded on the puter?

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2010 - 07:19 PM

I don't think you need to hold it down at all. Just tap the keys normally.

Using this method will return the computer to its "factory" settings, and as such all data will be lost.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 winker12

winker12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2010 - 08:06 PM

It didn't work. I tried multiple times with no luck. I tried before the splash screen and I got a keyboard error. I tried holding ctrl and F11 quickly and for a while-no luck.

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2010 - 09:08 PM

When you tried the format and reinstall did you use the Dell branded XP CD that came with the computer?

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 14 January 2010 - 09:20 PM

sounds like you left the broken copy of windows on the disk and installed another. when partitioning for a clean install you have to delete the partition where the broken windows install resides.
budapest seems to know what he is talking about to do a recovery.
if you have the xp disk i would reinstall again and when you get to the partitioning part, delete all partitions. note: it is up to you if you want the recovery partition. if you are unsure then keep it. so you will have a recovery partition and the rest is unallocated space.
install windows in the unallocated space. remember that this will destroy all data so back up what you want saved first.

#10 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2010 - 09:22 PM

ooops sorry Budapest. your post wasn't there when i started typing.

#11 winker12

winker12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2010 - 09:26 PM

no. I have a copy of XP I bought. I bet I got rid of the partition that had the original recovery on. Is there a way to use disk management to fix it?
By fix it, I mean to make it start up ok and to find the usb drive. I know all that was previously on this computer is lost. I reloaded most of what I had.

Edited by winker12, 14 January 2010 - 09:37 PM.

#12 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2010 - 10:04 PM

You can order a new set of disk here:

https://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...n/backupcd_form

—George Bernard Shaw

#13 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2010 - 10:09 PM

or you can boot from the xp cd that you bought, delete all partitions and re-install xp in the unallocated space

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2010 - 10:14 PM

I'd replace the CMOS battery and hope for the best, after resetting the data/time.

Louis

#15 winker12

winker12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2010 - 10:22 PM

Thanks. Just ordered it.
Do I need to do a restore to change the start up and enable the usb hard drive to work? After XP initially came up, there wasn't much there. I went to the Dell site and dloaded drivers and to update the bios. I pretty much loaded the programs I wanted. If it wasn't the fact that the usb harddrive won't work, I could get by with the startup problem-my wifes Ipod music is on that harddrive!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users