Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reclaimed parts

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 J.C.

J.C.

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 14 January 2010 - 03:45 PM

I have rebuild a PC with parts taken from other computers. The BIOS was set up and it has recognised the hardware parts such as HDD, FDD, CD, DVD. The only part new installed was the LAN Card.
The problem started when I tried to install the OS Window XP. During the setup, the procedure stopped with the following on a blue screen " stop 0x000000C2 (0x00000007,0x00000CD4, 0x00640072, 0xF9E6F318)
Setup dd.sys -Address F9E6F318 base at F9E11000, DateStamp 48025277 "

Any idea what went wrong?
Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,873 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 14 January 2010 - 07:45 PM

See C2 in the right column at http://www.aumha.org/a/stop.htm, for a start.

Then, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330181.

Louis

#3 J.C.

J.C.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 15 January 2010 - 12:35 PM

I read the quoted links and did what they said but in the process while changing memory sticks I smelt slight burning and noticed that one of the memory sticks was not seated properly. Closer inspection, I noticed a contact inside the memory slot burned. So from three slots I ended up with just two slots. The problem now is that when I tried to start the PC it stops on the screen were it says 'Start windows normally, Save mode, etc...' and choosing any of these the PC won't respond.
Any ideas?
Thanks

#4 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 15 January 2010 - 12:53 PM

I build a lot of computers from reclaimed parts. Some add on cards do cause problems. Try an install with minimum cards first and then add cards until you get an error. Older lan cards are often a problem and a few pre xp sound cards can really hose it.

The post at this link has a very similar error message and also a hard drive error. No answer to his question though.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/252424-3...ure-victim-help

Try a different drive too since google/bablefish find several similar error messages that indicate an incompatible or damaged hard drive. Some older maxtor drives were setup in compaqs and HP's with firmware compatible only with a specific bios. Those should be very old though.

#5 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 15 January 2010 - 12:57 PM

Anything shorted or burned on a mainboard is not a good sign for the future of that board.

However, if you are at the "failed to boot" screen, you can now start the reinstall over and see what happens.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users