Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

operating system not found

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Pamelia

Pamelia

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 14 January 2010 - 03:21 PM

I have a Toshiba lab top computer and it says operating system not found on a black screen. I have windows vista and I do not know what to do. My friend borrowed my computer and this is the way they returned it to me. I am sick over this

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keny111111

keny111111

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 14 January 2010 - 07:25 PM

hello
can you enter in safe mode? start the machine and start tapping the f8 key choose "safe mode with command prompt" If your able to get there.

Type: fixmbr \Device\HardDisk0 then press enter, then try to restart normal! ....good luck
Have A Great Day

...........Kenny.............

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 15 January 2010 - 01:18 AM

if that doesnt work, do you have the boot disc? if so, insert the disc and boot it up, then choose windows recovery enter the recovery console and run chkdsk command, it should tell you if you have a bad hard drive or not (which is what it sounds like)

Edited by the_patriot09, 15 January 2010 - 01:18 AM.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 HelenBach

HelenBach

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 15 January 2010 - 04:02 AM

It's also possible that the hard drive has become dislodged during transit. Take a look in the System BIOS, (press F2, on boot up), and simply check if the drive is being detected.

If it is listed and is also a selected option in the device boot order, also within the BIOS menus, then you should try to follow the advice already given.

If it isn't listed, you'll need to remove the appropriate retaining screws from the underside of the laptop and push the drive back into its slot. If this doesn't then allow the drive to be listed in the BIOS, I'd suggest you likely have a damaged hard drive.

#5 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 15 January 2010 - 04:54 AM

1. Check if hard disk is being detected. You would see the hard disk in POST message (power on self test) when you turn on laptop, it will show a quick message. If you cannot see the message enter BIOS by pressing Del or F1 or F2 as HelenBach said above. You should see the hard disk.

2. If hard disk is detected but no OS is found then MBR is damaged. You need to boot from Vista DVD. Place the Vista DVD in DVD drive and reboot your computer. Make sure DVD drive is first boot device in your laptop. Press any key to boot from Vista DVD when prompted. Choose language settings, click Repair computer. Then choose Vista edition. Then click Startup Repair

More information : http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows...asked-questions

Edited by Romeo29, 15 January 2010 - 04:55 AM.

#6 Adamsappleone

Adamsappleone

• Members
  • 152 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 15 January 2010 - 01:54 PM

If none of the above suggestions have worked, I would take it to a reputable computer repair shop, have them fix it and make your friend pay for it.

Multi-Boot, Vista Ultimate x64, Windows 7 x64 & Windows 8 Pro x64

Posted Image

#7 raziiq

raziiq

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 16 January 2010 - 04:10 AM

I am also having this problem, i fix it by going to BIOS menu , then in Boot MENU, and if there is an exclamation Mark next to your Hard Disk, press SHIFT + 1 with your Hard Disk Selected, save the changes and restart.

This can be one solution, depending upon your problem. Although this occurs to me very often and i couldnt find a FIXED solution to this problem, but you can give it a try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users