Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cant Access Folders for Backup

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 shashman

shashman

• Members
  • 179 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 14 January 2010 - 01:25 PM

My hard drive crashed and so I had to get a new hard drive. Im trying to backup the pictures and music from my old hard drive onto my laptop, and I can see the hard drive when I hook it up with a data transfer cable. I am not able to access the folders in it though, whenever I click on a folder a message pops up

'you dont currently have permission to access this folder' Click continue to permanently get access to the folder'

I can click one or two folders but there are several hundreds. Moreover, even if I do click on continue to get access, I can go one level into the folder, but I am unable to access the music or picture file that is in that folder.

So how do I go about getting access so I can backup all the music and pictures

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2010 - 02:22 PM

What operating system? If you are using XP did you use NTFS? Were any permissions set? You may need to take ownership of the drive. Right click-properties-security-advanced-ownership- place your account as the owner- back on the permissions windows add your self with full control permission if you are not there.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 14 January 2010 - 04:20 PM

How to take ownership of files and folders

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

#4 shashman

shashman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 179 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2010 - 09:59 PM

thanks guys. The first time I tried to change permissions, it didnt work. Second time, it did. Go figure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users