Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reading CD contents problem

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Grumpdaddy1

Grumpdaddy1

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 23 August 2005 - 04:11 PM

Recently, I backed up a lot of stuff to CD prior to recovering my computer. I used Windows explorer to do so and verified their contents prior to storing the disks away to reload later. Now the time has come and 2 of the CDs (I burnt 9) show up with nothing on them. The Details tab reports

Free Space: 0 bytes
Total Size: 0 bytes

I put them in two other machines and the same thing happens. I have tried to open them in Nero to try and "finalize" them (knowing XP can't read a multi-session disk unless finalized) but Nero shows the same problem.

All three computers are running XP Home SP2. The disks were burnt on an HP P4 (2.4 Ghz) with XP SP2. The second machine is a HP P3 (667Mz) and the last one I tried is an E-Machines P4 (2.4 Ghz).

I can look at the CDs and "see" the disk has files on them. I have cleaned the CDs and CD-ROM drives. I know there's stuff on them because I viewed them on the first computer before I recovered it (I did not check them on the other machines at that time.) The other machines have not been changed, so I don't think recovering the first one has to do with it. I hope this is fixable because these are some important files.

Thanks in advance.

-Grump

Edited by Grumpdaddy1, 23 August 2005 - 09:57 PM.

"Ignorance begins the day you think you know it all"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users