Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which Configs?? Ram and Video Cards

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kobaltic

kobaltic

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 14 January 2010 - 11:18 AM

I am trying to determine which configs would be best. Looking for speed for gaming.

Ram - Kingston Hyper X

3 gigs of 533 DDR2 or 2 gigs of 800 DDR2

I already own the ram just trying to figure out which one would be best.

Video cards. Looking to buy these so I am trying to see which is best.

2 of these running in SLI
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814127441

or

1 of these
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814127464

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 AM

Posted 14 January 2010 - 02:40 PM

I would use the two gigs of the 800 for the memory. The single card will work better overall than the SLI setup since not every game can take advantage of SLI and sometimes it can even slow you down. Put your money towards the following plan to upgrade your memory to 3 or 4 gigs. I'm guessing you have four dimm slots...you want to fill all four for the best inteleaved performance. Buy the best single video card your system can handle. SLI really only gives a small boost anyhow so unless your playing Crysis at ridiculous resolutions it isn't worth the extra money. Besides the single card you picked would walk all over the SLI setup you picked any day of the week.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 14 January 2010 - 11:03 PM

depends on what your planning on using it for. like baltboy said, not all games can make use of multiple GPUs, and anytime you have a multi GPU setup-whether its SLI or crossfire, it does lower your CPU/memory performance a hair. if you have a lot of memory and a extremely fast CPU you will probably never notice, but on a slower system you will. The whole point of SLI or Crossfire-is to improve graphics quality-like in graphics intensive games like Crysis. if your planning on doing big games like crysis or video editing, then a SLI setup may indeed be the way to go, but if not, and you want a good all around computer that performs good in all areas, then I would go with a single high end video card. that way you can still play video games, but you can have maximum performance with other applications as well. SLI only helps you in graphics intensive applications. also, I would use the 2 gigs of 800 mhz memory. it will perform better when matched with either a SLI or single card. You need at least as much system memory as video memory for optimum performance, if not more. 2 gigs of video memory with only 2 gigs of system memory is not a good idea if you want maximum performance. :D

Edited by the_patriot09, 14 January 2010 - 11:06 PM.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 kobaltic

kobaltic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 15 January 2010 - 10:38 AM

Thanks guys.

#5 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 15 January 2010 - 08:58 PM

EDIT: Nevermind

Edited by ReviverSoft, 15 January 2010 - 09:15 PM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users