Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

R6025 error message and some programs not functioning

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 14 January 2010 - 10:32 AM

Hello All
Computer is Dell Optiplex, XP, SP2 ,with McAfee security center , Malware bytes , SAS.Spyware Blaster
I have a problem. I am posting in the XP forum because I am not sure if this is malware related.
Yesterday when I went to the computer I noticed it had restarted overnight. I assume this was a Windows update. The only thing I noticed yesterday was that site advisor in lower right was grayed out. Everything else seemed to function normally.
Last evening I updated and did a quick scan with MB. Everything was fine but a box popped up after the scan completed , over the MB box. It said:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
Runtime Error! ( Note: I think it said Runtime Error!)
Program: C:\Program Files\MozillaFirefox \ firefox.exe
R6025
-pure virtual function call

I had shutdown all programs prior to the scan. I tried to open firefox from the desktop but it said it was already running I then noticed that firefox still showed in task manager. I used the end process button to stop. Firefox would then open from the desktop.
This morning I thought it wise to do some backing up. My word files backed up ok to a DVD but when I tried to backup Quickbooks it failed. When closing Quickbooks about 1/3 of my desktop icons disappeared. I can still access programs using the Start button.
Tried to back up some photos to DVD but it said insufficient resources ( I think).
Closing this brought back some desktop Icons but not all.
I then did a full scan with MB, Updated last evening Version # 3557, and nothing was found.0 detections on both quick and full scan. After posting this I will do a full SAS scan. I am in hopes that all I need to do is a restart but thought I should do all possible before in case starting is a problem.
Thoughts and advice are appreciated
Nawtheasta

Edit 11:38 AM Competed Full SAS Scan ( Core 4476, Trace 2294) SAS updated this AM.
SAS only found tracking cookies, 10 items, which seems normal.Quarantined and removed. No other detections.
I will wait for some feed back from my BP friends before trying a restart.
Best Regards
Nawtheasta

Edited by Nawtheasta, 14 January 2010 - 11:34 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 14 January 2010 - 11:54 AM

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;125749

I would assume that Firefox is damaged and uninstall/reinstall.

What programs are not functioning?

How much free space on C: and how large is C:?

How much RAM installed?

Louis

#3 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2010 - 01:22 PM

Hi Louis
Thanks for the response.

148 GB Total Hard drive space, 52 GB Free

1 GB Ram

It’s not that some programs are not functioning. But some are acting odd.

Quickbooks would not run a backup to a DVD. Which it has done before ok. Said it could not load or find company. When closed the QB desk top icon was gone but I could start QB when I accessed it using the start button. Seems to work ok and all data is there. Icon has now reappeared on desktop. But others are still missing.
Tried to copy some photo / video of Christmas to DVD but it could not. Something about system resource was not adequate. ( I think. I might be wrong on what the box said)
I just did a backup of Firefox bookmarks to a USB stick. seemed to go OK.

I have Firefox 3.0.17 It updated earlier this week but I do not recall any problems.
Seem like this started after MS automatic update yesterday morning.
I am nervous about trying a restart but maybe this could be the answer?
Thoughts and advice are appreciated
Nawtheasta
Edit: Also just noticed that scanner is acting weird. Scanner preview is blank but when document scanned it seems to go through ok. Folder that has scanned objects is only showing some of pictures. Text below is there but nothing showing as a thumbnail for 80% of them

Edit Edit
I don’t know if this info helps but there are application and 1 system error code showing for about the time of the MS update yesterday morning
Application

Error 3:45 : 37 AM Event code 1000

3 warnings
Warning 3:46 : 18 MSSQL$Microsofts… Event code 19011

Warning 3: 46 : 24 Microsoft Fax Event code 32026

Warning 3: 46 : 24 Microsoft Fax Event code 32068

System

Error 3:46 :19 DCOM Event code 10010

Could the MS update not installed correctly??

Edited by Nawtheasta, 14 January 2010 - 03:01 PM.

#4 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2010 - 04:48 PM

If the problem was caused by a bad or misloaded update would this be a good time to try system restore or is there some other method to try first?
Regards
Nawtheasta

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2010 - 07:55 PM

In my entire computer life (13 years), I have only experienced one MS update of any import which created problems (IE 5.5) for me...so I don't ordinarily believe that's the cause of computer problems.

When files and partitions start disappearing...that's usually an indication of a problem with the file system (which may lead to a clean install) or the hard drive (which may lead to a clean install).

But...I suggest taking a look in Event Viewer (errors only) for clues to what might be wrong here.

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

The Windows System Restore is always a good idea at resolution...I just never suggest it because I don't use it, preferring to do routine backups.

Louis

#6 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2010 - 09:16 PM

Well the error properties for the first error at 3 : 45: 37 AM, Event code 1000 list the following:

Faulting application dlbfbmon.exe, version 0.1.25.0, faulting module hid.dll, version 5.1.2600.2180, fault address 0x00001abc.

An internet search for this exact description shows someone complaining about a A 960 printer being incompatible with SP2. This was the first printer I had. However the computer has had auto updated switched on from day 1 so I don’t know why it would stub its toe on this now.

There is also an error code at 9 :29 : 41 PM Event 1000 that lists the following

Faulting application firefox.exe, version 1.9.0.3642, faulting module mcbrwctl.dll, version 3.0.1.163, fault address 0x0002a80e.

Well I guess I will try system restore to last weekend. This was before firefox and MS updated. I am open to other suggestions though

I do have a Maxtor external that I have done safety drill backups on. Also back up regular files to a DVD and Quick books to a USB stick. If it is a catastrophic problem I can put it back together again.

Best regards
Nawtheasta

Edit Tried system restore but when I click next to start the process it hangs for a moment then nothing.
Any thoughts??

Edited by Nawtheasta, 14 January 2010 - 09:58 PM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2010 - 10:06 PM

Well...users seem to forget that you cannot simply go by the filename. The path and filesize are important in determing if what you see...is what you get...when it comes to malware.

It's not uncommon for compoenents of AV programs...to become damaged. For that matter, it's not uncommon for any file to become damaged and malperform because it is damaged. The typical cure for damaged files in programs is to uninstall/reinstall. The typical cure in Windows is a repair install or sfc /scannow.

If you have files from a printer that was properly deleted and uninstalled...on your system...that's not necessarily unusual. My experience with Lexmark has me convinced that printer uninstalls always leave some service running that users don't bother to check. Annoying for me, unnoticed by many users.

My basic take on errors is...if it isn't noticeably irritating, I pay it no mind. If it doesn't do something to my system that impacts performance of same, I let it ride until I want to donate time to research it.

In short...you are the person who decides if you have a system problem that warrants your energy and attention.

Louis

#8 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2010 - 12:06 AM

Well I did a reboot. Everything seemed to start ok except McAfee. It then installed some updates and started working correctly. Site adviser is back too. Hopefully there was just some update conflicts that resolved themselves at restart.
I am still not sure why system restore did not work. Any way to test with out actually doing a system restore?
Best Regards
Nawtheasta

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users