Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hardware not responding after spyware attack

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 The Punisher

The Punisher

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 14 January 2010 - 09:59 AM

Hi,

my laptop got infected with a spyware/malware and i cleaned that up here using pancakes help. But after the clean up 3 drivers are no longer working.

My USB ADSL modem
My fingerprint security
and an unknown device was found in the device manager

The USB modem does connect to my laptop but it does not work.. when I tried on linux it worked there.

Similarly the fingerprint driver is installed but it just is not taking any input, i put my thumb on the scanner and it just does not pick it up. I tried it in my linux installation and it was working fine there.

SO it is not a hardware problem.

There are two new installations in the device manager one is labeled "#4" and the other is a duplicate "bluetooth LAN" they cannot be removed, when i choose uninstall i get the error, this is required to startup the computer

here is the screen shot of my device manager window, if thats any help.

Id really appreciate it if we can get this to work without a system format and reinstall.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

P.S. This is not a spyware/malware issue// Eddy from PCHF helped confirm that my system is spyware/malware clean..

This is purely a hardware fault

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2010 - 11:50 AM

Configuration information [in the registry] is incomplete or damaged

It is possible that in the removal process some files were deleted or corrupted
You need to run SFC.exe
If this is a retail computer with no Windows CD, pay close attention to the 2nd post where they talk about the i386 folder
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43051/how-to-use-sfcexe-to-repair-system-files/

Edited by garmanma, 14 January 2010 - 11:51 AM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 The Punisher

The Punisher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2010 - 01:59 PM

thx for ur reply garnamna..

sfc is done..

but i see no difference..

#4 The Punisher

The Punisher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2010 - 10:12 PM

update: the only difference i see after a restart is that all of my crystalxp theme files have been overwritten so i guess that means that the sfc worked.. but the hardware still refuses to work

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 14 January 2010 - 11:09 PM

Im going to be honest, this is the stage where I back up all my files and do a complete reinstall of my OS, because otherwise I spend hours going through the registry trying to figure out what was deleted and what needs reinstalled, and its not time efficient, and if it happens to be a customer computer, its not cost efficient either.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#6 The Punisher

The Punisher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2010 - 02:15 AM

Im going to be honest, this is the stage where I back up all my files and do a complete reinstall of my OS, because otherwise I spend hours going through the registry trying to figure out what was deleted and what needs reinstalled, and its not time efficient, and if it happens to be a customer computer, its not cost efficient either.

thats what i was afraid of :thumbsup:

i have so many small seo related programs installed that doing all those again will be a pain in the ...

#7 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2010 - 02:36 AM

well, you could go back through and try to fix the registry, though beyond this Im not sure how much I can help, like I said I typically reformat at this stage. though if you do go this road to, when you reinstall I would recomend making multiple partitions, that way you can keep all your files on a second partition, so if it happens again, all you have to do is reinstall your OS and most of your files (not the programs) will still be intact.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#8 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2010 - 02:55 AM

of course, you could try uninstalling all the drivers, and then try downloading older versions them manually from the web site and reinstalling them to but i doubt it would work. worth a try though.

picard5.jpg

#9 The Punisher

The Punisher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2010 - 07:28 AM

of course, you could try uninstalling all the drivers, and then try downloading older versions them manually from the web site and reinstalling them to but i doubt it would work. worth a try though.

i tried that but it fails.. it tells me that this device cannot be uninstalled as it is required to boot up the computer. :/

now what does an adsl usb modem have to do with booting up the computer

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 15 January 2010 - 12:07 PM

You might see if those devices indicated as balky...have programs install in Add/Remove Programs...which also have to be uninstalled before the device drivers can be removed.

That cautionary message is only meant to be a standard warning, it is not designed to prevent driver removal/device uninstallation.

Louis

#11 The Punisher

The Punisher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2010 - 07:03 AM

You might see if those devices indicated as balky...have programs install in Add/Remove Programs...which also have to be uninstalled before the device drivers can be removed.

That cautionary message is only meant to be a standard warning, it is not designed to prevent driver removal/device uninstallation.

Louis

k i tried even that.. un installed all software related to the drivers but i still get the same error.

i might do a complete format today :thumbsup:

#12 yogodating14

yogodating14

• Banned Spammer
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2010 - 07:41 AM

Hi
yes format your computer is a last option for you. i think you should format it.
and install nod32 antivirus after then with fresh installation.

Thanks
Regards

#13 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2010 - 08:01 PM

that may indeed be your last option. afterwards I would recomend installing a good firewall like Comodo and probably at least 2 anti virus programs-there are several out there. Free options include Avast, AVG, and malwayrebytes are all very good.

picard5.jpg

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2010 - 11:42 AM

I suggest installing 1 AV program (of your choice), along with Malwarebytes and SUPERAntispyware. Two AV programs installed at the same time may produce confusion. Mawarebytes is not an AV program but is very effective at removing some known malware items.

I would also suggest using the Windows firewall, since most 3d-party firewalls provide options and detail...that many users are not interested in or take advantage of. The Windows firewall provides basic firewall protection and requires minimum user configuration and attention.

Most importantly...read the instructions for each of these programs...before installing.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users