Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spyware and now Start up Issues - Need Help!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
35 replies to this topic

#1 tryrrthg

tryrrthg

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 14 January 2010 - 07:21 AM

Last night while surfing the web on my laptop (running Windows XP) I got one of those dreaded online messages saying my computer has spyware and that this online scanner would scan my computer to fix it. I thought I successfully canceled out of all of it but I guess not.

Somehow my desktop background picture was changed to this big warning sign picture. I ran spybot which found 5 or 6 things and I "Fixed the problems" with spybot. I then tried to use the Windows restore utility to restore the computer back to a point in time before the issue. while doing that the computer rebooted and got me to the screen where I select which user I want to log in as. I click on the username and the computer appears to log me in but then immedietly logs me out and brings me right back to the user select screen. it does this over and over again each time I try to log on.

I tried starting up in safe mode but every time I do that I get a blue screen of death telling me that windows did not shut down properly and the computer won't let me log in in safe mode either.

So what can I do if I can't even get logged in to run any more utilities? As far as I know I have no discs for the laptop as it was a refurbished unit from dell that is about 5 years old. I can go out and buy an external enclosure for the hard drive and hook it up to my desktop computer if that will help.

Please help! Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 whiteac2k4

whiteac2k4

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 14 January 2010 - 10:54 AM

Do you have the original Xp installation Disk? If so boot the machine from Xp Disk. Run Recovery Console and run Chkdsk /r this will check for corruption that may have occured during the rollback. See if this helps if not post back.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2010 - 11:02 AM

It can be difficult to determine what exactly caused this problem. Bootup failure can be due to a variety of issues to include application faults, hardware failures, loose pin connections or malware infestation. Startup failures that occur before the OS loader (Ntldr) starts could indicate missing or deleted files, or damage to the hard disk master boot record (MBR), partition table, or boot sector. If a problem occurs during startup, the system might have incompatible software or drivers, incompatible or improperly configured hardware, or corrupted registry/system files. However, from what you describe, this problem appears to be malware related.

If you cannot bootup or logon in normal or safe mode, and a Repair Install does not work, then your options are limited.If you choose Hiren's, please be aware:

While this collection of tools can be very useful, potential users should note that many of the tools are commercial applications that have not been legally licensed for redistribution, and so download/use/sharing of Hiren's BootCD may be illegal (depending on your legal jurisdiction).

Note about Hiren's BootCD

Another option is to create a Bootable CD:These are links to Anti-virus vendors that offer free LiveCD or Rescue CD utilities that are used to boot from for repair of unbootable and damaged systems, rescue data, scan the system for virus infections. Burn it as an image to a disk to get a bootable CD. All (except Avira) are in the ISO Image file format. Avira uses an EXE that has built-in CD burning capability.If you are not sure how to burn an image, please read How to write a CD/DVD image or ISO. If you need a FREE utility to burn the ISO image, download and use ImgBurn.

Note: In order to use a rescue disk, the boot order must be set to start from the CD-ROM drive. If the CD is not first in the boot order, the computer will attempt to start normally by booting from the hard drive. The boot order is a setting found in the computerís BIOS which runs when it is first powered on. This setting controls the order that the BIOS uses to look for a boot device from which to load the operating system. The default will normally be A:, C:, CD-ROM. Different computers have different ways to enter the BIOS. If you're not sure how to do this, refer to:If at some point, you are able to boot up but have difficulty running programs, you can try using VIPRE PC Rescue. This is a utility designed to scan and clean a computer which is so badly infected that most programs cannot run. Virus definitions are included and the program is self-running once executed. All scans include Rootkit Detection. Be sure to print out and follow the instructions provided on the same page for running under Windows or with the Command Line option.

Important Note: Since the inability to boot properly was most likely caused by malware or attempts to remove it, you should know that some infections can result in a system so badly damaged that reinstalling Windows without first wiping the entire hard drive with a repartition/format will not remove the infection. The reinstall will only overwrite the Windows files. Any malware on the system causing problems will still be there afterwards. Using System Restore may return your system to a more stable state so it can boot up if provided that feature was not disabled and you have usable restore points but there is no guarantee the malware will not still be present afterwards. You confront the same possibility when using a Boot or Rescue CD.

Starting over by wiping your drive, reformatting, and performing a clean install of the OS or doing a factory restore with a vendor-specific Recovery Disk/Recovery Partition removes everything and is the safest action. Please read:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 14 January 2010 - 11:40 AM

I click on the username and the computer appears to log me in but then immedietly logs me out and brings me right back to the user select screen. it does this over and over again each time I try to log on.

This should get you out of trouble ... Fix Windows XP LogOn/LogOff Loop ...... thinkinginpixels
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#5 tryrrthg

tryrrthg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2010 - 08:00 PM

OK, I was able to log in but I still ahve that "YOUR SYSTEM IS INFECTED" picture on my desktop. I am still not able to log in in safe mode. I keep getting the blue error screen.

what should I do now that I am logged in

Thanks!

#6 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2010 - 08:11 PM

Let's see what we can do with your malware problem ....

(At this stage, since you can not access Safe Mode, where the instructions call for using Safe Mode, simply perform the scans in Windows normal mode. If you have any problems along the way, please let us know and we will try to help you get around them.)

Edit: I note that you are using Spybot. Please ensure that you have disabled Spybot's TeaTimer in the Spybot user interface, before proceeding with the below instructions, so that it does not interfere with removal of the malware.

:huh: Please download TFC by Old Timer and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link
  • Save any unsaved work. (TFC will close ALL open programs including your browser!)
  • Double-click on TFC.exe to run it. (If you are using Vista, right-click on the file and choose "Run As Administrator".)
  • Click the Start button to begin the cleaning process and let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Important! If TFC prompts you to reboot, please do so immediately. If not prompted, manually reboot the machine anyway to ensure a complete clean.
:trumpet: Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and save it to your Desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself.
  • Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note 1: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Regardless of whether you are prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

Note 2: MBAM may make changes to your registry as part of its disinfection routine. If you're using other security programs that detect registry changes (like Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere with the fix or alert you after scanning with MBAM. Please disable such programs until disinfection is complete or permit them to allow the changes. To disable these programs, please view this topic: How To Temporarily Disable Your Anti-virus, Firewall And Anti-malware Programs

:flowers: Please download SUPERAntiSpyware
  • Double-click SUPERAntiSpyware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
  • An icon will be created on your Desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
  • If it will not start, go to Start > All Prgrams > SUPERAntiSpyware and click on Alternate Start.
  • If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here. Double-click on the hyperlink for Download Installer and save SASDEFINITIONS.EXE to your desktop. Then double-click on SASDEFINITIONS.EXE to install the definitions.)
  • In the Main Menu, click the Preferences... button.
  • Click the "General and Startup" tab, and under Start-up Options, make sure "Start SUPERAntiSpyware when Windows starts" box is unchecked.
  • Click the "Scanning Control" tab, and under Scanner Options, make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
    • Close browsers before scanning.
    • Scan for tracking cookies.
    • Terminate memory threats before quarantining.
  • Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen and exit the program.
  • Do not run a scan just yet.
Reboot your computer in "Safe Mode" using the F8 method. To do this, restart your computer and after hearing your computer beep once during startup (but before the Windows icon appears) press the F8 key repeatedly. A menu will appear with several options. Use the arrow keys to navigate and select the option to run Windows in "Safe Mode".

Scan with SUPERAntiSpyware as follows:
  • Launch the program and back on the main screen, under "Scan for Harmful Software" click Scan your computer.
  • On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
  • On the right, under "Complete Scan", choose Perform Complete Scan and click "Next".
  • After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
  • Make sure everything has a checkmark next to it and click "Next".
  • A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
  • If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes" and reboot normally.
  • To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
    • Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
    • Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
    • If there are several logs, click the current dated log and click View log. A text file will open in your default text editor.
    • Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
  • Click Close to exit the program.
:inlove: Please download Dr.Web CureIt! and save it to your desktop. DO NOT perform a scan yet.
alternate download link
Note: The file will be randomly named (something like this ... 5mkuvc4z.exe).
(Or download drweb-cureit.exe from here )

Print these instructions (or copy them to a Notepad file) so they will be accessible: Some steps will require you to disconnect from the Internet or use Safe Mode and you will not have access to this page.

Now, reboot your computer in "Safe Mode" using the F8 method. (To do this, restart your computer and after hearing your computer beep once during startup (but before the Windows logo splashscreen appears) press the F8 key repeatedly. The "Windows Advanced Options Menu" will appear with several options. Use the Up/Down arrow keys to navigate and select the option to run Windows in "Safe Mode".)

Scan with Dr.Web CureIt! as follows:
  • Double-click on <the randomly named file that you downloaded> to open the program and click Start.
  • If you see a message, warning that Dr.Web CureIt! is available free only for personal use, click Cancel to continue.
  • Click Start. (There is no need to update if you just downloaded the most current version.)
  • Read the "Dr.Web scanner anti-virus check" prompt and click Ok where asked to "Start scan now?"
    Allow the setup.exe to load if asked by any of your security programs.
  • The Express scan will automatically begin.
    (This is a short scan of files currently running in memory, boot sectors, and targeted folders.)
  • If prompted to download the "Full version / FREE trial", ignore it, and click the X to close the window.
  • If you see a message, warning that your HOSTS file has been modified and asking if you would like to restore it, click Yes.
  • If an infected object is found, you will be prompted to move anything that cannot be cured. Click Yes to All.
    (This will move any detected files to the C:\Documents and Settings\userprofile\DoctorWeb\Quarantine folder if they can't be cured.)
  • After the Express Scan is finished, put a check next to Complete scan to scan all local disks and removable media.
  • In the top menu, click Settings > Change settings, and uncheck "Heuristic analysis" under the "Scanning" tab, then click Apply > Ok.
  • Back at the main window, click the green arrow Posted Image ("Start Scanning") button on the right, under the Dr.Web logo.
    (Please be patient as this scan could take a long time to complete.)
  • When the scan has finished, a message will be displayed at the bottom indicating if any viruses were found.
  • Click Select All, then choose Cure > Move incurable.
  • In the top menu, click File and choose Save report list.
  • Save the DrWeb.csv report to your Desktop. :thumbsup: <<< Important!
  • Exit Dr.Web CureIt! when done.
Important! Reboot your computer normally (not to Safe Mode) because it could be possible that files in use will be moved/deleted during reboot.

After rebooting, post the contents of the log from Dr.Web.
  • On your Desktop, right-click on DrWeb.csv and choose Open with > Notepad
  • Copy and paste the entire file contents in your next reply.
:huh: Now, please run a Full Scan this time with MBAM after again updating. Remove what it finds and then post the log from that too.

Edited by AustrAlien, 14 January 2010 - 08:18 PM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#7 tryrrthg

tryrrthg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2010 - 08:57 PM

through step 2

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.44
Database version: 3566
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702

1/14/2010 8:48:06 PM
mbam-log-2010-01-14 (20-48-06).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 141747
Time elapsed: 7 minute(s), 15 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 2
Registry Values Infected: 1
Registry Data Items Infected: 6
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 4

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\popcaploader.popcaploaderctrl2 (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\popcaploader.popcaploaderctrl2.1 (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Desktop\General\wallpaper (Hijack.Wallpaper) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\FirewallDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoSetActiveDesktop (Hijack.DisplayProperties) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\activedesktop\NoChangingWallpaper (Hijack.DisplayProperties) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoActiveDesktopChanges (Hijack.DisplayProperties) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoSetActiveDesktop (Hijack.DisplayProperties) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\helper32.dll (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\41.exe (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\IS15.exe (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\warning.html (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

#8 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2010 - 09:02 PM

Looking good so far ... :thumbsup:
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2010 - 10:32 PM

I click on the username and the computer appears to log me in but then immedietly logs me out and brings me right back to the user select screen.

Hmmm...seems I mis-read that. I thought I read you couldn't log on at all in safe or normal mode.

Anyway, just so you know, you are dealing with a Internet Security 2010 infection.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#10 tryrrthg

tryrrthg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2010 - 03:26 PM

through step 3.

SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log
http://www.superantispyware.com

Generated 01/14/2010 at 10:59 PM

Application Version : 4.33.1000

Core Rules Database Version : 4481
Trace Rules Database Version: 2299

Scan type : Complete Scan
Total Scan Time : 01:54:58

Memory items scanned : 563
Memory threats detected : 0
Registry items scanned : 6643
Registry threats detected : 0
File items scanned : 87211
File threats detected : 36

Adware.Tracking Cookie
C:\Documents and Settings\Troy\Cookies\troy@microsoftwindows.112.2o7[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Troy\Cookies\troy@stats.polkaudio[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Troy\Cookies\troy@interclick[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Troy\Cookies\troy@realmedia[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Troy\Cookies\troy@tribalfusion[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Troy\Cookies\troy@ads.pointroll[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Troy\Cookies\troy@collective-media[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Troy\Cookies\troy@atdmt[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Troy\Cookies\troy@msnportal.112.2o7[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Troy\Cookies\troy@ads.bridgetrack[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Troy\Cookies\troy@media6degrees[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Troy\Cookies\troy@pointroll[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Troy\Cookies\troy@content.yieldmanager[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Troy\Cookies\troy@imrworldwide[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Troy\Cookies\troy@bs.serving-sys[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Troy\Cookies\troy@serving-sys[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Troy\Cookies\troy@sales.liveperson[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Troy\Cookies\troy@trafficmp[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Troy\Cookies\troy@sales.liveperson[3].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Troy\Cookies\troy@specificclick[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Troy\Cookies\troy@revsci[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Troy\Cookies\troy@ad.wsod[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Troy\Cookies\troy@ads.cnn[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Troy\Cookies\troy@adserver.uproxx[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Troy\Cookies\troy@at.atwola[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Troy\Cookies\troy@cdn4.specificclick[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Troy\Cookies\troy@content.yieldmanager[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Troy\Cookies\troy@csc.112.2o7[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Troy\Cookies\troy@fusetv.112.2o7[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Troy\Cookies\troy@jcrew.112.2o7[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Troy\Cookies\troy@media6degrees[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Troy\Cookies\troy@nhl.112.2o7[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Troy\Cookies\troy@pointroll[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Troy\Cookies\troy@warnerbros.112.2o7[1].txt
C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Cookies\system@click.fastpartner[1].txt
C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Cookies\system@clickthrough.kanoodle[1].txt

#11 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2010 - 03:48 PM

through step 3.

Too easy! :thumbsup:
How is your computer behaving now?

Please do this sometime .... doesn't matter when.
Export SafeBoot key for diagnosis
Let's have a look at your SafeBoot registry key.
  • Click Start > Run
  • Copy and paste the following line in the open Run box

regedit /e C:\SafeBootK.txt "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot"

• Now click OK
  • Double-click/Open My Computer and then navigate to C:\ drive
  • In there, you should see a file called SafeBootK.txt
  • Double-click it to open the file with Notepad.
  • Copy and paste the whole contents of SafeBootK.txt in your next reply please.
If you have any problems let me know.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#12 tryrrthg

tryrrthg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2010 - 04:09 PM

I've tried twice now to run step 4 and both times it has frozen the computer when trying to start the scan...

#13 tryrrthg

tryrrthg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2010 - 04:11 PM

through step 3.

• Click Start > Run

regedit /e C:\SafeBootK.txt "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot"

• Now click OK

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot]
"AlternateShell"="cmd.exe"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\aawservice]
@="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\AppMgmt]
@="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\Base]
@="Driver Group"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\Boot Bus Extender]
@="Driver Group"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\Boot file system]
@="Driver Group"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\CryptSvc]
@="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\DcomLaunch]
@="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\dmadmin]
@="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\dmboot.sys]
@="Driver"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\dmio.sys]
@="Driver"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\dmload.sys]
@="Driver"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\dmserver]
@="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\EventLog]
@="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\File system]
@="Driver Group"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\Filter]
@="Driver Group"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\HelpSvc]
@="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\Netlogon]
@="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\PCI Configuration]
@="Driver Group"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\PlugPlay]
@="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\PNP Filter]
@="Driver Group"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\Primary disk]
@="Driver Group"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\RpcSs]
@="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\SCSI Class]
@="Driver Group"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\sermouse.sys]
@="Driver"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\sr.sys]
@="FSFilter System Recovery"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\SRService]
@="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\System Bus Extender]
@="Driver Group"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\vds]
@="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\vga.sys]
@="Driver"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\vgasave.sys]
@="Driver"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\WinDefend]
@="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\WinMgmt]
@="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\{36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}]
@="Universal Serial Bus controllers"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
@="CD-ROM Drive"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
@="DiskDrive"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\{4D36E969-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
@="Standard floppy disk controller"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
@="Hdc"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\{4D36E96B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
@="Keyboard"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\{4D36E96F-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
@="Mouse"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\{4D36E977-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
@="PCMCIA Adapters"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\{4D36E97B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
@="SCSIAdapter"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\{4D36E97D-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
@="System"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\{4D36E980-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
@="Floppy disk drive"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\{533C5B84-EC70-11D2-9505-00C04F79DEAF}]
@="Volume shadow copy"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\{71A27CDD-812A-11D0-BEC7-08002BE2092F}]
@="Volume"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\{745A17A0-74D3-11D0-B6FE-00A0C90F57DA}]
@="Human Interface Devices"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\aawservice]
@="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\AFD]
@="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\AppMgmt]
@="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\Base]
@="Driver Group"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\Boot Bus Extender]
@="Driver Group"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\Boot file system]
@="Driver Group"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\Browser]
@="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\CryptSvc]
@="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\DcomLaunch]
@="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\Dhcp]
@="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\dmadmin]
@="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\dmboot.sys]
@="Driver"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\dmio.sys]
@="Driver"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\dmload.sys]
@="Driver"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\dmserver]
@="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\DnsCache]
@="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\EventLog]
@="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\File system]
@="Driver Group"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\Filter]
@="Driver Group"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\HelpSvc]
@="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\ip6fw.sys]
@="Driver"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\ipnat.sys]
@="Driver"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\LanmanServer]
@="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\LanmanWorkstation]
@="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\LmHosts]
@="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\Messenger]
@="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\NDIS]
@="Driver Group"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\NDIS Wrapper]
@="Driver Group"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\Ndisuio]
@="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\NetBIOS]
@="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\NetBIOSGroup]
@="Driver Group"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\NetBT]
@="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\NetDDEGroup]
@="Driver Group"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\Netlogon]
@="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\NetMan]
@="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\Network]
@="Driver Group"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\NetworkProvider]
@="Driver Group"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\NtLmSsp]
@="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\PCI Configuration]
@="Driver Group"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\PlugPlay]
@="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\PNP Filter]
@="Driver Group"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\PNP_TDI]
@="Driver Group"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\Primary disk]
@="Driver Group"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\rdpcdd.sys]
@="Driver"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\rdpdd.sys]
@="Driver"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\rdpwd.sys]
@="Driver"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\rdsessmgr]
@="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\RpcSs]
@="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\SCSI Class]
@="Driver Group"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\sermouse.sys]
@="Driver"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\SharedAccess]
@="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\sr.sys]
@="FSFilter System Recovery"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\SRService]
@="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\Streams Drivers]
@="Driver Group"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\System Bus Extender]
@="Driver Group"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\Tcpip]
@="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\TDI]
@="Driver Group"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\tdpipe.sys]
@="Driver"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\tdtcp.sys]
@="Driver"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\termservice]
@="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\vga.sys]
@="Driver"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\vgasave.sys]
@="Driver"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\vsmon]
@="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\WinDefend]
@="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\WinMgmt]
@="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\WZCSVC]
@="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\{36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}]
@="Universal Serial Bus controllers"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
@="CD-ROM Drive"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
@="DiskDrive"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\{4D36E969-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
@="Standard floppy disk controller"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
@="Hdc"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\{4D36E96B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
@="Keyboard"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\{4D36E96F-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
@="Mouse"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
@="Net"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\{4D36E973-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
@="NetClient"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\{4D36E974-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
@="NetService"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\{4D36E975-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
@="NetTrans"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\{4D36E977-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
@="PCMCIA Adapters"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\{4D36E97B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
@="SCSIAdapter"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\{4D36E97D-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
@="System"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\{4D36E980-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
@="Floppy disk drive"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\{71A27CDD-812A-11D0-BEC7-08002BE2092F}]
@="Volume"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\{745A17A0-74D3-11D0-B6FE-00A0C90F57DA}]
@="Human Interface Devices"

Edited by tryrrthg, 15 January 2010 - 04:12 PM.

#14 tryrrthg

tryrrthg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2010 - 04:14 PM

through step 3.

• Click Start > Run

• Now click OK

computer is better. my desktop picture is back to normal. I haven't really been doing anything with it other than running scans so I can't comment on any other issues. I still haven't tried running in safe mode either...

Thanks so much for your help with this! :flowers:

I'm going to try step 4 again.

#15 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2010 - 04:36 PM

With a quick look, there is no problem with your SafeBoot key.

Do try Safe Mode again: It will start working sometime! If you can get into Safe Mode, try running Dr.Web in Safe Mode: It might not be so prone to crash then. If still no luck with Dr.Web, just leave it for now: That sometimes happens.

Get the last MBAM scan done, and then I might ask you to do an on-line scan.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users