Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows 7 upgrade and custom install issues

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 josephawood6

josephawood6

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 14 January 2010 - 03:47 AM

Hi
I have recently installed windows 7 at the direction of Microsoft tech support using an upgrade disk to do a clean install (custom) which has produced some strange processes I see running in task manager. svchost.exe restricted, winint.exe, psi.exe,svchost.exe (bthsvcs), wininit.exe,rundll32.exe,hkcmd.exe? I know they are legitmate, atleast i thought they were.

They are related to svchost.exe and I'm not sure what might be running. Looking for assistance to determine what might be happening.

Info: Dell Inspiron 1525 , Windows 7 home premium, 32 bit, no printer, or external devices, connect via wireless adapter. Using McAfee Security suite.

I changed my security password from WEP to WPA at the direction of my ISP provider and changed my password.

what could be causing these issues?
WOODSY0

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Promethius

Promethius

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 14 January 2010 - 08:07 AM

All of the above are just normal, rather than try to explain it all myself and wear my fingers out typing, check out this article here.

#3 josephawood6

josephawood6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 14 January 2010 - 10:02 AM

Thank you for the quick reply.

I tried right clicking on a process and then going to services as instucted but nothing is highlighted. Is there something I'm not doing?

Just some bckground info- before I did the clean install of windows 7 I was plagued by a browser redirection issue. So I decided to purchase windows 7 since I would get 6 months of tech support included.

What happens is about 12 to 24 hrs after the installation is complete my system becomes slow, with a considerable amount of cpu space consumed either constantly or it peaks and then drops to almost nothhing.

Is there any concern about my usb wireless mouse connection and rootkits, worms, etc? My Physical Memory value stays constant at 1130 MB.

I know I was hacked prior to my clean install but was unable to determine what malware was deposited in 4 files that were open to sharing, unbeknowst to me.

Is there more descriptive detail I might provide or a scan to detect rootkits?

I ran a scan with the Secunia PSI after I updated my touchpad driver and several alerts were issued about Internet explorer 8.x, Microsoft XML Core Services (MSXML) 6.x -that needed attention,Sun Java JRE 1.6x/6.x, and Microsoft .Net Framework 3.x .
All but the XML Core services were listed as "no further action needed- detected as being patched.

Should I be concerned?

Edited by josephawood6, 14 January 2010 - 10:39 AM.

WOODSY0

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users