Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Remove or Uninstall Ubuntu

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Aprily

Aprily

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 14 January 2010 - 01:28 AM

I think my problem is slightly different from those posted in earlier threads. I have two Hdds. On one it is win xp and on the second I installed Ubuntu using a cd sent to me by the Ubuntu people. It is working fine and I am happy with Ubuntu. But now I need the second Hdd as an addition to my Winxp os. I will install Ubuntu on a second computer and learn it at my pace. Now it is a dual boot and I choose windows or ubuntu as I need. I am new to Linux/Ubuntu and not much knowledgeable with windows either. But I will follow your advice meticulously. This site http://members.iinet.net.au/~herman546/p18.html gives very good ideas. I can try the windows xp recovery console method. Will it save all my windows files and partitions?
Another solution by "replacing GRUB in MBR with ms-sys" looks a bit technical but tempting! But I cannot understand the instructions. Eg: what is meant by "command - sudo apt-get install ms-sys" and how do I go about it?
The second step: And since my Ubuntu installation is on a separate Hdd(full, no partition), can I format it with the windows computer management>Disk management? No format option is however available. I can only delete the logical drive or delete partition. Or should I use the GParted LiveCD as suggested in that page?
May be my questions look foolish as the suggestions at http://members.iinet.net.au/~herman546/p18.html are complete and self explanatory - to many of you :D
What am I to do?
Thank you.
Aprily

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 14 January 2010 - 02:35 AM

another method, probably an easier one, is to log into windows, right clock the second hard drive (if it shows up in my computer) and then click format. if it doesnt recognize it you should be able to go into your task manager and format it from there.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 Aprily

Aprily
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2010 - 07:17 AM

Thank you, the patriot09. My second hard drive is not visible when I am in Windows(naturally.) But if I go to Disk Management, the second drive is visible and shows it as unknown partition. When I right click it, the only option is delete partition. And what about that GRUB/MBR problem? I don't want a repeat of what Djinn Effer had (please see http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=497205)
By the way,does the Ubuntu cd contain an uninstall facility? If not, don't you think it is high time they added one?
Regards.
Aprily

Edited by Aprily, 14 January 2010 - 07:18 AM.

#4 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 14 January 2010 - 10:29 AM

You can delete the Ubuntu partition through the Disk Management utility, then format the raw drive from there. Please note that I have not tried this method.

You can also use GParted, which is included on the Ubuntu LiveCD. If you plan on using GParted, I recommend that you only delete the Ubuntu partition, not format it. Windows does not like NTFS partitions that were not created through Windows. I've tried this method, and I have not had the Djinn Effer fiasco.

As for GRUB, you should be able to remove it by using typing fixmbr in the Windows Recovery Console.
A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2010 - 01:32 AM

i apologize I mislead you, been awhile since I played with XP. if you go into control panel, then administrative tools, click computer management, and theres an option called disc management. It should show all hard drives connected, and by right clicking there should be a format option.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,912 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2010 - 05:58 AM

Just to give you another option, in the link below is what I
consider the easiest solution for uninstalling Ubuntu and grub and rewriting a windows mbr.
Be sure to read the first comment after the instructions in the link.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=113630

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 Aprily

Aprily
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2010 - 01:07 AM

Thank you, MadDawg, the_patriot09 and buddy215.
MadDawg, that is a good advice indeed.. Since I have the Xp CD it can work. I have not ever used that recovery console. So I am not sure what it does. If it only recovers or corrects, then there may be no problem. But if it starts to ask for deletion of files or partitions, can I cancel it altogether and go back to my win os? Without any loss? Thanks for that tip about formatting with windows utility.

Yes,the_patriot09. Yes that was what I tried first. But then there is no format option - only delete partition. And if I do that without first addressing the GRUB/MBR problem, I will surely be in a fix, literally. And I am not sure if after such a deletion, windows will permit me to format the second hdd. let alone booting into Windows!

That "scole" solution, buddy215, (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=113630) appears to be addressed mainly to resizing the windows os partition after deleting other partitions ( in my case it is unthinkable) on a single hdd. May be I am wrong. May be partitions on a second hdd can also be deleted without touching the primary hdd. And yes, it gives a solution to the MBR problem.

I think I should clear MBR and then delete the partition on my second hdd and attempt a format using windows disk management. I am a bit busy with my work now. I will attempt in a day or two and post what I have encountered.
Thanks to all, you were kind. Regards.

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,912 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2010 - 07:15 AM

Yep, you are wrong. That is why I said this--"Be sure to read the first comment after the instructions in the link. "

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#9 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2010 - 04:22 AM

however you do it, deleting partitions on the second hard drive should not affect any OS on the first hard drive, if they are seperate drives.

picard5.jpg

#10 Aprily

Aprily
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2010 - 08:06 AM

Thanks, buddy215. You are right and I am wrong. I had read 'inigmatus' but I was also a little skeptic and missed to mention that in my post.Thanks anyway. I will post after I remove Ubuntu from my 2nd hdd.
Regards.

#11 Aprily

Aprily
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2010 - 01:48 AM

I have successfully removed Ubuntu using BootItNg version 1.87. (Chose iso and wrote it on a cd. Changed the bios to boot from cd) Followed the instruction given by scole at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=113630. Then formatted the 2nd hdd using Windows Diskmanagement. Everything is fine now. Thanks a lot, buddy215. And thank you MadDawg and the_patriot09.
I must also warn anybody attempting this uninstall/removal of Ubuntu on a 2nd hdd, to be sure of the hard disk you are deleting. I don't know what will happen if the hdd with the windows installation is selected.
Thank you all, it was quite helpful indeed. I will install Ubuntu on another computer and learn.
Regards.
Aprily

#12 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,912 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2010 - 08:48 AM

You're welcome.

Ubuntu 10.04, Lucid Lynx, will have long term support. Final release in April. Might want to
give Ubuntu another try at that time.

Oh, and thanks for the descriptive reply on steps you took. It will help others in the same boat.

#13 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2010 - 12:07 AM

:thumbsup: Glad you got it done, sorry I couldnt of been of more help. :flowers:

picard5.jpg

#14 Aprily

Aprily
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2010 - 02:21 AM

:thumbsup: Thank you. I know you will continue helping others. Good work and best wishes.
Regards.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users