Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with Defraggler in Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 14 January 2010 - 01:10 AM

When I found Defraggler a couple months ago, I was overjoyed. It is leaps and bounds above the built-in Windows Defragmenter. Not only does it defrag my hard drive much better than the built-in one, but it also has the awesome little drive blocks where you can see the files being moved around! :huh:

Anyway, here's my problem:

After doing a routine defrag, I noticed that a large part of my hard drive would still sit there with red blocks (meaning fragmented). I was baffled by this, and checked to see what files they were. Turns out they were "System Volume Information". I knew that meant system files, but I figured if Defraggler could handle the rest of the operating system, it could handle these too. So I did another defrag. No dice. Defrag freespace. Nothing. Tried defrag one more time, and I was shocked when I saw all those red blocks disappear in a matter of about 5 seconds. I suddenly had no fragmented files. And it was obvious by looking at the other blocks, that they were not simply moved around.

After searching the internet for "System Volume Information", I discovered that these were system restore files. Uh-oh, I thought. So I checked my list of system restore checkpoints. The list was completely empty. :thumbup2: And I know it shouldn't be empty because my Recovery Commander software creates a System Restore checkpoint along with a Recovery Commander checkpoint every time I install something (I install new programs all the time). The last time I looked, the list was full of checkpoints.

Them suddenly being gone worried me, so I hastily created a new checkpoint to stave off any system failures.

Why did this awesome piece of software delete all my System Restore checkpoints? I'm not sure I will continue to use it if this continues....I remember this happening a while back, but I just thought it was a fluke at the time. I didn't connect Defraggler with them being gone.

Any advice? :huh:

Thanks,
keyboardNinja
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 speedbird76

speedbird76

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 14 January 2010 - 02:30 PM

I think it's because the utility is not compatible with Vista/7's volume shadow copy service.
This is true for all the freeware defraggers, none of them have VSS support; the Windows built-in defragger too has only limited VSS support. This is similar to the system files defrag feature: the freeware utilities lack it while the windows defragger has some limited ability to defrag system files.

Third party commercial defrag utilities are much better in this regard- most defrag system files and some have VSS support. Back when I had Vista for a while, I used a commercial automatic defragmenter, and it used some special mode to defrag volumes on which VSS was enabled. I don't recall losing restore points.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users