Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microphone Sound Issue

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DTT

DTT

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 14 January 2010 - 12:43 AM

Hello! <3

I recently purchased a new computer operating on Windows 7 Home Prenium. I'm pretty happy with it, but my Logitech Usb Microphone occasionally sounds horribly choppy to people listening to me on Ventrilo (it basically cuts out every other word.) The only way I am able to seem to temporarily fix this is to turn vent off and switch the plug to the microphone into a different port. The problem tends to come back sporadically and the same steps have to be done in order to fix it each time. I've had the microphone for a couple of years (and hated it), but I've never had choppiness issues with it before.

I'm trying to figure out if my USB microphone either needs replacing or if there is something wrong with the sound of my new computer. Please help me! ):

What I've done to troubleshoot the issue:

Switched USB Microphone with a Line-In Microphone. The Line-In Microphone has no choppiness, but is very soft to people that hear me. This is different to my USB microphone, in which people can usually hear me fine when the choppiness issue is not occurring. I've tried maximizing the microphone sound settings for the line-in microphone and maximizing the ventrilo output settings. People are able to hear me, but I still sound very soft to them. I tested it in the sound recorder and got the same quiet voice result.

Note: The Line-In microphone is a very cheap model that came bundled with one of my programs several years ago, so it is quite possible that the sound volume issues unique to the Line-In Microphone are related to the fact its a piece of outdated cheap garbage. I only used it to test as a comparison as all my other microphones broke ages ago. ):

Edited by DTT, 14 January 2010 - 12:46 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 14 January 2010 - 11:28 AM

No experience with this, but the line in mic. could possibly need an amplifier
Can you put some pressure on the USB plug and kind of hold it in place and see if that makes a difference?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 DTT

DTT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 14 January 2010 - 01:53 PM

Ahhh, maybe that's the case with the line-in microphone...

I tried moving around the USB plug when talking, and it initially made no difference, but seconds after I got the choppiness issue again. I didn't try holding it in place yet, but lets see what happens next time I use it. I'll update this thread with the details after checking it out.

Also as a question, what are some decent brand microphones I could use in the case that this needs replacing?

Edited by DTT, 14 January 2010 - 01:56 PM.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 14 January 2010 - 06:36 PM

They are all going to be kind of hoakie unless you want to spend some money
As you can see on this page, they go from $8.00 to $140.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....amp;x=0&y=0
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users