Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

defragmenting my xp

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 korky122

korky122

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 23 August 2005 - 02:49 PM

do u recemmend defraging the hard drive. how often should i do it. also should i put my comp in safe mode to do it. got my comp last month. how long should it take. used up about 20 gigs. mostly games.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2005 - 03:14 PM

Defragging is a part of regular computer maintenance, a process that will keep it running at its optimum. Interesting enough, there was a discussion about how often to defrag your hard drive a short time ago on the BC forums:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...0&hl=defragging

Defragging in safe mode often speeds up the process, but the time depends on the amount of hard drive space the program must examine, and the amount of file movement, deletions, etc., you have done between defrags.

Hope this helps,
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 turnip

turnip

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2005 - 10:44 AM

If you are using the built in defragmenter its better to run it in safe mode or end processes so that nothing interrupts while it does it job. Also run disk cleanup before defrag to free up space and remove unwanted stuff.

http://www.microsoft.com/AtWork/getstarted/speed.mspx

Edited by turnip, 24 August 2005 - 11:11 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users