Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My ex-boyfriend deleted files from my computer....can I restore them?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jenbrn

Jenbrn

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 13 January 2010 - 10:28 PM

Hey ya'll- good evening. I'm Jennifer-

I searched for the answer to this topic, but my nerves are so frazzled from an emotionally abusive situation that I may well have looked over the answer. I apologize in advance if this is the case, and appreciate any help anyone may be able to give me. ;)

Without going into the maudlin minutiae, a jealous ex-boyfriend (while stopping by to get his things) managed to sneak into my office while I was on the phone with one of my business clients elsewhere in the house. He then proceeded to go in my open yahoo mail account and delete all emails from my current boyfriend and 'trash' them in yahoo. Also, he went into my "my documents" section and deleted some documents that pertained to my current relationship.

I am not a computer 'newbie' and follow directions well......but these emails and files are very treasured....and I want them back badly.....can anyone give me advice as to how to 'find' them on my computer? I understand that the yahoo email files may not be retrievable....but the 'biggie' is the one that was deleted from my documents.

Again, any help/suggestions is appreciated. Thank you for your time and attention. ;)

I have IE 8 and Windows XP.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 13 January 2010 - 10:38 PM

Unfortunately you are correct about yahoo. How ever the My documents may not be totally lost.

This is a preferred method on the board. Good luck.

http://www.piriform.com/recuva

There are professionals that do it but it is usually a fairly expensive process.

#3 Jenbrn

Jenbrn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2010 - 10:46 PM

Thank you so much, Thunder. I'm running the program now, and it didn't find anything at first, so I'm doing a deep scan. I was pretty sure that I wouldn't be able to recover the Yahoo files, but maybe there's some hope left. ;)

Any other suggestions are welcome. Thank you guys!!!

Jennifer

#4 Jenbrn

Jenbrn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2010 - 02:04 AM

Ok...more bad news.

I did the deep scan, and no luck.

I forgot to add (please excuse my mental state) that there was a system restore done on this computer at the end of December by a friend of mine who was trying to help me with a virus problem. He did this without asking permission.

I did a search for the file, also, and only came up with shortcuts (the word file or doc.x file).

Would this affect the way I need to search for the file, or are there any other programs I could utilize, or any other actions I could take?

Thanks in advance for your help. ;)

Jennifer

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2010 - 09:56 AM

Well...you could try other programs but no success is guaranteed with data recovery efforts.

Recuva seems to work for many users, I hesitate to suggest another program that costs in lieu of it.

Louis

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2010 - 10:15 AM

Agree`d with Hamluis. The only other safe options I am aware of cost $$$, with no guarantee of success.

However you mentioning System restore presents a possibility. If there is a restore point since the data was created but prior to the deletion then it may be there.

This comes with some negatives as well. First, being that you should back up all your data created after the restore prior to doing the restore to guarantee it`s safety. Second, you mention a past infection. System restore can be a fine tool. But be aware that infections are also saved in restore points if the machine was infected at the time it was created. If you use that restore point then the infection would be restored as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users