Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 64 bit idles 100% CPU

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kilgorecemetery

kilgorecemetery

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 13 January 2010 - 10:08 PM

I'm still new to Windows 7, but I have a computer that uses 100% of the CPU at all times. I've done 2 clean installs with windows 7 64 bit with the same outcome. Am I doing something wrong? Is there something that's not working with the 64 bit? Any info would be useful.

Here's the setup:
MSI P6N-SLI mobo
Intel® Pentium® 4 Processors 640 3.2GHz
4GB(2x2gb) DDR2 800 Super Talent
nVidia GeForce 8400 GS
Windows 7 Ultimate Version 6.1(Build 7600)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,528 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 13 January 2010 - 10:15 PM

What process/es is consuming all the memory? Can you give us a breakdown?

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 kilgorecemetery

kilgorecemetery
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2010 - 10:20 PM

taskmgr.exe and svchost.exe are the main 2, but it seems to go with whatever is currently running.. right now i'm trying to do some updates, and it's showing msiexec.exe as well. taskmgr.exe tends to run between 25-50percent at all times

#4 mybuddyeric

mybuddyeric

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2010 - 12:28 AM

Hi kilgorecemetary:

Are you using Task Manager to access the active process list? Have you tried something like Process Explorer: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb896653.aspx

It will show you what threads are attached to the svchost process and give us more of a clue about what's going on. Also, can you give us a history of the machine and tell us if it's a fresh install, what programs you have running, antivirus, etc?
Thanks!
fueled by coffee™

#5 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2010 - 12:53 AM

After fresh install Windows Vista and 7 run 2 services Superfetch and Windows Search. Both of them consume CPU and you also see cintinuous hard disk activity. You can either disable them from Control Panel or wait for some time (happens for some days if you use computer for short intervals everyday).

#6 kilgorecemetery

kilgorecemetery
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2010 - 01:48 PM

After fresh install Windows Vista and 7 run 2 services Superfetch and Windows Search. Both of them consume CPU and you also see cintinuous hard disk activity. You can either disable them from Control Panel or wait for some time (happens for some days if you use computer for short intervals everyday).

I was able to stop both services. It did speed up the computer a little bit, but it's definitely not the main problem. CPU still running at 80-100% while idling. I have found out more as I try different things though:

1. It's a 64bit problem. I was able to install windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit and it ran smoothly.
2. It may have something to do with the Video Card. I tried to uninstall, reinstall the drivers. When re-installing using windows update the system all but freezes. after 3 hours i tried to reboot and finally had to power off the system manually. I've tried running the newest driver from nvidia, but it stops and says that it is unable to install the nvidia control panel and automatically cancels.

#7 kilgorecemetery

kilgorecemetery
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2010 - 01:01 AM

Final update. Mobo is an MSI P6N-SLI which basically can work with Windows 7 32 bit or even Windows XP 64 bit (which is the OS I was using before) but doesn't have a BIOS update for Windows 7 64 bit for some reason. Finally tracked this down on the MSI website. It's a combination of that and 4GB RAM which is why I wanted 64 bit to begin with. I found that if I take out one of the 2GB sticks that the installation drops from 4 hours to 30 minutes. Windows 7 32 bit runs fine with 4GB RAM after the installation, but the 64 bit version is incredibly unstable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users