Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need To Install Windows XP Pro on Windows 7 PC

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Feonix

Feonix

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 13 January 2010 - 09:44 PM

Hi there,

I just received a new HP Elite e9290f computer with the following specifications:

Intel Core i7-920 Processor (2.66GHz)
8MB shared cache on die Level 3
Windows 7 Home Premium
9GB DDR3 SDRAM
1TB SATA HDD at 7200rpm
1.8 GB dedicated NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 Graphics Card

What I want to do now is install Windows XP Media Center 2005 on a separate partition. I will be using Partition Master Professional Edition to set up the partition. Is there any specific way that I need to go by this install? I understand that Windows 7 and Windows XP versions have totally different boot loading options. Can anyone offer any help? I would greatly appreciate it. I really don't understand SATA or IDE controllers really well, I'm not sure they have anything to do with what I am asking but would appreciate any clarification. Thanks a lot in advance...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Promethius

Promethius

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 14 January 2010 - 07:55 AM

Sunrise is right and wrong.

In the past when Vista first came out, you were FORCED to wipe your hard drive install XP first, then install Vista. Alot of problems occured if you loaded Vista and tried to load xp second.

As of 2 months ago I have loaded Vista first, repartitioned the hard drive in Vista's disk management, and then loaded XP on the new blank partition on the hard drive.

The customer has said that it has been working flawlessly and has had no complaints.

Windows 7 will allow you to do this, but some people will swear you have to load XP first.

Another cool option that I have used alot is using a virtual machine such as VirtualBox. You can create a virtual machine that will run while Vista\Win 7 is running on the computer. That way you don't have to keep rebooting the computer to get to the other OS. It can be found here.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 14 January 2010 - 10:12 AM

Opinions/suggestions at http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sou...mp;oq=&aqi=.

Louis

You may also be able to get feedback on this in our Win 7 forum.

Edited by hamluis, 14 January 2010 - 10:14 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users