Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need To Partition Brand-New Computer

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Feonix

Feonix

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 13 January 2010 - 09:43 PM

Hi there,

I just received a new HP Elite e9290f computer with the following specifications:

Intel Core i7-920 Processor at 2.66GHz per core
8MB shared cache on die Level 3
Windows 7 Home Premium
9GB DDR3 SDRAM
1TB SATA HDD at 7200rpm
1.8 GB dedicated NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 Graphics Card

What I want to do now is install Windows XP Media Center 2005 on a separate partition. I will be using Partition Master Professional Edition to set up the partition. Is there any specific way that I need to go by this install? I understand that Windows 7 and Windows XP versions have totally different boot loading options. Can anyone offer any help? I would greatly appreciate it. I really don't understand SATA or IDE controllers really well, I'm not sure they have anything to do with what I am asking but would appreciate any clarification. Thanks a lot in advance...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mybuddyeric

mybuddyeric

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 14 January 2010 - 12:45 AM

Hi Feonix:

In Windows 7, there is a disk management utility built-in already; there's no need to pull out all the big guns in the form of Partition Master PE.
Here's how to access it:

In Windows 7, click the Start button, and locate 'Computer'.
Right-click on 'Computer' and select 'Manage' from the context menu. [Agree that you know what you're doing if UAC steps in]
In the left column of the 'Computer Management Console' you will see Disk Management. Click that.
From here, it's just a matter of determining how much space you want to allocate and the file format (I'd stick with NTFS if you're going to install XP MC).

If this just simply isn't what you need, post back here and let us know. One of us will surely be able to further assist you if you need it. Good luck!

[p.s. those specs made me drool, you lucky dog]

[EDIT] Feonix, the Windows 7 bootstrapper will indicate after BIOS that you have an OS loading choice. It will say something like 'Windows 7 Home Premium' and something to the effect of 'Older versions of Windows'. I had a dual-boot machine at work for awhile with Win7 Ultimate and XP Pro and it worked beautifully, on a far inferior rig compared to yours. Go get em tiger!

Edited by mybuddyeric, 14 January 2010 - 12:48 AM.

fueled by coffee™

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2010 - 12:46 AM

- You may need SATA driver if your BIOS does not support IDE emulation.
- Download EasyBCD 1.7.2 from here : http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1
- Download .NET full package from here : http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en
You will need these later, if internet does not work in XP.

1. Create a separate partition for XP, (lets say its D:). Format it in NTFS.
2. Put Windows XP CD in DVD-ROM drive, restart Windows 7.
3. When computer start to reboot, quickly press F12 or F11 to bring boot menu, select DVD-ROM drive and you should be seeing Windows XP setup. If you cannot press the F12 button to bring the boot menu, then make changes in BIOS so that DVD ROM is your first boot device and HDD is second.
4. In setup choose D: (or whatever partition) you want to install XP to.
5. After installing Windows XP, you will be able to boot in XP. Start XP.
6. Install .NET followed by EasyBCD.
7. In EasyBCD select Add BootManager, reinstall Vista Bootloader, then click Add MBR
8. In EasyBCD, select add remove entries, add an entry, choose C: drive, choose Vista, click Add Entry
9. Restart Windows XP.

#4 mybuddyeric

mybuddyeric

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2010 - 12:51 AM

- You may need SATA driver if your BIOS does not support IDE emulation.
- Download EasyBCD 1.7.2 from here : http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1
- Download .NET full package from here : http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en
You will need these later, if internet does not work in XP.

1. Create a separate partition for XP, (lets say its D:). Format it in NTFS.
2. Put Windows XP CD in DVD-ROM drive, restart Windows 7.
3. When computer start to reboot, quickly press F12 or F11 to bring boot menu, select DVD-ROM drive and you should be seeing Windows XP setup. If you cannot press the F12 button to bring the boot menu, then make changes in BIOS so that DVD ROM is your first boot device and HDD is second.
4. In setup choose D: (or whatever partition) you want to install XP to.
5. After installing Windows XP, you will be able to boot in XP. Start XP.
6. Install .NET followed by EasyBCD.
7. In EasyBCD select Add BootManager, reinstall Vista Bootloader, then click Add MBR
8. In EasyBCD, select add remove entries, add an entry, choose C: drive, choose Vista, click Add Entry
9. Restart Windows XP.

I love this forum; you regulars have so many cool little utilities for situations like this! Good contribution Romeo! =D
fueled by coffee™

#5 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2010 - 12:56 AM

Yes mybuddyeric, now that you are a member of BC community, we will change your life :huh: Welcome to madness called BleepingComputer :huh:

#6 Feonix

Feonix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 14 January 2010 - 01:45 AM

Guys thanks for your replies, I appreciate the help a lot! Mybuddyeric I'm happy with the specs myself! I'm a music producer so I need the power! 8-cores is awesome performance.

Romeo29, why would I change it to "Vista" if it's Windows 7? Or is it irrelevant? Would appreciate the clarification.

#7 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2010 - 05:15 AM

Guys thanks for your replies, I appreciate the help a lot! Mybuddyeric I'm happy with the specs myself! I'm a music producer so I need the power! 8-cores is awesome performance.

Romeo29, why would I change it to "Vista" if it's Windows 7? Or is it irrelevant? Would appreciate the clarification.

EasyBCD was written for Vista so it does not list Windows 7 as an option. But the bootloader for Windows Vista and Windows 7 is same so it works anyway :huh: This is one reason developers of EasyBCD are not updating it as it works for Windows 7 already.

Edited by Romeo29, 14 January 2010 - 05:19 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users