Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer won't start (error screen)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jtoppe2

jtoppe2

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 13 January 2010 - 08:05 PM

Hi, I'm using (or trying to use) a Dell Inspiron 600m with windows XP. My computer recently froze so i tried to restart it. when i tried, a blue screen with an error message came up. this is what it said:

"a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. if this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. if this screen appears again, follow these steps: check to be sure you have adequate disk space. if a driver is identified in the stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. try changing video adapters. check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. if you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer (etc). technical information: ***stop: 0x0000007E (0X0000005, 0X804D9A69, 0xBACFF67C, 0xBACFF378)"

i tried to start windows again using safe mode and it didn't work. i also tried to use the last known good configuration and that didn't work. i don't know what to do! please help me figure this out. thanks!

-jeff

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,011 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 13 January 2010 - 08:41 PM

Hello,

I am moving this topic to the Windows XP forum as there is nothing at this point to suggest malware.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 14 January 2010 - 09:27 AM

Basic reference on STOP errors at http://www.aumha.org/a/stop.htm.

"0x0000007E: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
A system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch. There are numerous individual causes for this problem, including hardware incompatibility, a faulty device driver or system service, or some software issues. Check Event Viewer (EventVwr.msc) for additional information."

If you have access to the XP Recovery Console...I suggest trying to run the chkdsk /r command, as a first step.

Have you tried to run the Dell Diagnostics module?

<<i tried to start windows again using safe mode and it didn't work.>>

Error message? What (exactly) happened when you tried?

Do you have access to another system?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users