Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Driver Availabilty

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 syscorpsecure

syscorpsecure

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 13 January 2010 - 07:25 PM

As a computer tech and systems builder, I am often asked to restore computers which in today's terms might seem ancient. There are still lots of users out there running old versions of Windows and other operating systems who may not want to pay the money to upgrade a system.

I've literally had some users squeeze every last ounce of performance out of a computer and in doing so, I have spent many hours searching for drivers compatible with operating systems long thought gone.

So the question is: Does anyone know of a good source of legacy drivers for devices without paying $20 bucks for a membership. Or am I looking at this the wrong way, should I pay to join a website to access device drivers and acknowledge the work others have done to collect and preserve all of the software I need?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2010 - 07:35 PM

Many OEM sites do still provide Legacy support. Just have to dig a little deeper. My second choice is the mobo manufacturer`s site. Last but not least if it is an add-on card then the manufacturers site as well.

That is where the fun comes in sometimes, tracking down the mobo or add-on card maker.

Many say stay away from Windows updates for drivers but the only ones I have ever experienced problems with are their video drivers.

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,759 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 13 January 2010 - 08:21 PM

ive had some luck with driver detective, though personally, often times the best way is to get them from the manufacturers website, or use the original ones that came with the PC if possible.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 13 January 2010 - 09:15 PM

A lot of those programs (driver detective) which cost like $40.00 for a ONE year subscription do not in most cases suggest the correct drivers.
Alot of times after updating a driver they still insist your drivers are out of date. Including the one you just updated through the program.
Sadly for most of us. the venders have us by the wallet, because I run into the same issues with hardware becoming discontinued and so does the support that went with it.
New operating systems eventually won't work with old drivers and even in compatability mode Windows will fail to work with the device as it was intended to run.
Eventually an Operating Sysytem is no longer supported for critical updates and the mess goes on and on :flowers:
But that is the way electronics are..... "disposable"
However, the never ending quest for the missing driver file is one of computings most famous quest games. "The Quest For That Missing Driver"
Play on fellow gamers! :thumbsup:

Edited by MrBruce1959, 13 January 2010 - 09:17 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2010 - 08:40 PM

I have an update for this thread.
You can try http://www.driversdown.com for drivers and firmware, most of which I have found are free.
Just use the tabs at the top of the webpage for the hardware related files your looking for.

Edit: You do not have to download the drivers scan program just follow the links and download the files yourself.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 14 January 2010 - 08:44 PM.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#6 syscorpsecure

syscorpsecure
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2010 - 06:33 PM

Great ideas everyone! :thumbsup:

Just to clarify what I was thinking when I started this thread:

Say you've got an old Dell GX1 Pentium II and you need to get the drivers for a Hauppauge WinTVGO, a Creative Sound Blaster 24X CDRom, a Hayes compatible 56k modem, an Iomega Zip100, running Windows 2000 Professional on two Maxtor hard drives, one 20GB and one 40GB with an old Microtek parallel port scanner you want to use with an older version of Adobe Photoshop, which by the way, you need the color profiles for...

Get the idea. This is just one of 15 legacy setups I have and they still work perfectly...as long as I have the software that makes the hardware function. Which is why I was wondering if there is a "great repository in the sky" for legacy hardware drivers.

Keep throwin' me bones, this dog will hunt!

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2010 - 10:04 PM

I gotcha on your post.
But the website I suggested is free.
I've yet to be asked to pay anything so far for what I downloaded.
But you are right most file downloading sites require some form of subscription or download tool that scans but asks for a annul fee before it proceeds.

#8 expert80

expert80

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2010 - 11:44 AM

Hi,
I don't understand, you are a professional tech and you don't want spend 20$ for a program??? :thumbsup:
I bought DD this summer when there was 10 licensed offer and never regret that, it save me hours of preciuos time and often I can download allthe drivers a PC need in minutes, without mind of hardwares, cards etc, above all for old computers.
I advice you to give Driver Detective a chance, (or another program similar like driver robot) try to read this guide: driver detective
it is very useful even for OS migration and drivers backup.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users