Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anyone know how to disable IE's "Web page unavailable while offline" popup

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Buburubu

Buburubu

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 13 January 2010 - 07:01 PM

I was wondering if anybody knows how to disable that irritating "Web page unavailable while offline" popup that internet explorer puts out while in Work Offline mode, the one with the "connect" and "stay offline" buttons.

My situation is, I'm pretty sure I've got that background downloader "iexplore.exe" virus but can't get rid of it. I've tried most of the fixes that I can, but it seems to be invisible to all the free antivirus and anti-spyware stuff I can get, so I'm trying to just ignore it. Setting Internet Explorer to Work Offline mode seems to block it, at least (can't steal my info if I don't let it online, haha!) but it keeps trying to connect about once a minute.

Since internet explorer puts out this annoying popup everytime a program tries to connect but can't, it pops up about every minute, always in front of all my other windows and always in the dead center of the screen. I'll usually just click Stay Offline or the upper-right X, but that only gets rid of it until the next time it tries to go online.

I know I probably ought to try to get rid of the trojan/worm/whatever, but I've been trying to do that for days and it seems immune or invisible to all the free programs I have access to. I'm really not very good with computers so I'm a little wary to try any more in-depth and complicated attempts to fix it, and I think it'd be much easier to just let it keep impotently trying to connect and blocking it, if only I could make this irritating Internet Explorer popup go away. Anyone know how to do that? I'm okay with it continually trying and failing to connect, I just don't want to hear about it anymore.

I'm running windows XP and IE6, I think. The browser I actually use is Firefox, so I'm okay with gimping Internet Explorer into complete uselessness if necessary, just so long as it's still my default browser (if I switch the default browser to Firefox, I assume it'll start trying to connect through that.)

Thanks in advance for the help. And er, if possible, pretend you're explaining it to a child. D:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 13 January 2010 - 08:33 PM

If you believe, you're infected, travel here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users