Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Two XP setups - want to get rid of one

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 whftherb

whftherb

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 13 January 2010 - 06:54 PM

Hello - I have an XP Pro desktop, 1gB RAM, AMD 3400+ proc, large disk 20% full. A few days ago, out of nowhere, the thing BSODs on me with a 7D stop. Rebooted and after the post, but before the XP load up (green caterpillar) it BSODs again with a 7D. The C drive is less than 6 mo old - it's a Seagate 500 gB SATA.

OK, I grabbed my XP Pro SP3 disk and attempted to get to the Recovery Console to work out what I thought might be an MBR or an NTLdr problem because it wasn't even starting an XP load. Booting from the CD went up to the point that Windows is starting but then a a screen yielding "No hard disk drives could be found, hit F3 to exit". Hmmm. I grabbed a copy of BartPE and that found the C:\ drive just fine. Ran some other disk health/exercise utils and those professed that the disk was fine. Back to the XP Pro boot disk and again, no hard disk drives. To make a long story short, I disabled the SATA process in BIOS, rebooted with the XP Pro boot disk. Ireally wanted a repair install, instead I got not a repair install but a complete install. I tried this over and over. So, I decided to plunge through it while selecting the option to preserve the file structure. After the install went through, I revisited the BIOS and turned on SATA support. It's back in business.

Now, I'm faced with a boot screen that offers two "copies" of XP Professional. The second one BSODs with 7D. The first (newest one) boots and works fine. But I'd like to know how to "kill" that first -or bad - copy of XP Pro. Then after I swing over all the files, delete the folder structures under the orig (again, bad) copy. The newest working copy also has labelled folders like this: WINDOWS.0 or username.0. I could live with that because I suspect I'd have to completely reformat and start from square one with this thing.

What are the basic steps that will allow me to kill that first - non-working - copy of XP Pro?

Thanks

H

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,696 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 AM

Posted 13 January 2010 - 08:38 PM

As for the first issue (having two options at startup)....
Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl, and then click OK.
On the Advanced tab, click Settings under Startup and Recovery.
Under System Startup, click Edit. This will open boot.ini file in Notepad.
Copy all content, and post it in your next reply.

As for deleting bad Windows copy, read here: http://www.jimmah.com/vista/content.aspx?id=14

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 whftherb

whftherb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2010 - 10:01 PM

Thank you for the quick response.
boot.ini follows:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS.0
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS.0="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptOut

I think I see where we're headed...

#2 - I'm slightly confused. I do not have c:\windows.old But, I have c:\windows.0 which from it's date appears to be where the new install placed the current tree structure. So, I'm assuming a typo maybe??? Just confirm if you would, that, once we clear up the boot record and ensure I have everything out of c:\windows, I should zap c:\windows because, as I said, I don't have windows.OLD. BTW, I checked it's non-existence in Safe Mode. Right?

And once again, because I had to, I also have to now live with c:\windows.o as the primary storage point. Also I have to live with c:\doc & settings\All Users.Windows.0 etc. etc. If you don't mind spending a few moments, what might you have done differently faced with my situation?

H

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,696 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2010 - 11:24 PM

Reopen boot.ini file in Notepad and delete following line:
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptOut
(be careful, because both lines are very similar)
Then go File>Save
Restart computer and it won't bother you anymore with the selection.

2. Sure, in instructions from that page, you want to substitute windows.old with windows

As for your last question, you didn't perform clean install, but parallel install.
I believe, it worked out for you, because you want to move some files from old installation to new installation.
Normally, with clean install, you remove existing Windows partition, which wipes out everything, you create new partition, you format it and you install fresh Windows copy on it.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 whftherb

whftherb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2010 - 01:04 AM

Perfect...

Again, I thank you.

I really wish I could have done the repair but the hardware wasn't about to let me. The only way past the "We can't find a disk" was to disable SATA. With that off, at that point, a repair install was simply not offered. That's why I was wondering if an alternative strategy could have been used to rescue the old install.

I should worry about this disk. However, given its young age and the fact that I've put it through a day and a half of utilities like Spinrite, there are no errors so I'm proceeding apace with a reimage once I get it settled down.

H

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,696 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2010 - 01:21 AM

You're welcome :thumbsup:
...and the word of the day is - BACKUP :flowers:

My Website

p4433470.gif

#7 whftherb

whftherb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2010 - 06:20 AM

You're right. That's why God made large External HDDs... Thankfully, this time, all my data was preserved.
Silver lining: System now rocks (noticeable improvement in performance for an old bucket) with a new copy of XP!
:thumbsup:

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,696 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2010 - 11:59 AM

Very well :thumbsup:

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users