Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless-G vs Wireless-N Router

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Kodiak_Kid

Kodiak_Kid

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 13 January 2010 - 05:50 PM

Hello,

I'm about to purchase a wireless router and was wondering what, besides range, are the major performance issues between Wireless-G vs Wireless-N routers?

I've visited my local BigBox electronics store a few times and they all tell me, "if range is not an issue, just go with the wireless-g b/c it is cheaper. That the speed improvement between G an N is negligible and you will probably not notice any difference." Now this is great b/c I like to save money but I get the sneaking suspicion that they are just pushing a specific wireless g model on me b/c they always put the same product in my hands. The product does have a good review but that was in January of 2003.

The price difference b/w the two is about $30 for new hardware. So basically I need to know, is it worth it to spend the extra money?

Thanks for any and all help!

Edited by Kodiak_Kid, 13 January 2010 - 05:52 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 13 January 2010 - 10:12 PM

Just remember that to get the improvements of N its not just the router but also the wireless cards connecting to it that need to be N. If you are looking to buy a wireless setup from scratch, even if the price is more than $30, you'll be better off buying N. I say that because while they will make B/G stuff, they won't develop new stuff for B/G. So if you're starting from scratch get the latest stuff out.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 toml_12953

toml_12953

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 15 January 2010 - 08:00 PM

Hello,

I'm about to purchase a wireless router and was wondering what, besides range, are the major performance issues between Wireless-G vs Wireless-N routers?

I've visited my local BigBox electronics store a few times and they all tell me, "if range is not an issue, just go with the wireless-g b/c it is cheaper. That the speed improvement between G an N is negligible and you will probably not notice any difference." Now this is great b/c I like to save money but I get the sneaking suspicion that they are just pushing a specific wireless g model on me b/c they always put the same product in my hands. The product does have a good review but that was in January of 2003.

The price difference b/w the two is about $30 for new hardware. So basically I need to know, is it worth it to spend the extra money?

Thanks for any and all help!

I get 54 Mbps with g and 300 Mbps with N. The difference is very significant. You'll have to make sure your adapters can handle it, too!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users