Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best Free Antivirus

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 stprkr

stprkr

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 13 January 2010 - 05:46 PM

Hey I was wondering what is the best free anti virus that you would recommend. I am running xp

probably didnt post this to the right section sorry

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,734 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2010 - 11:26 AM

Independent comparatives of Anti-virus Software
click on the "Comparatives" link on the left
TopTen Review: AntiVirus Software Product Comparisons
AntiVirus Software Comparisons for 2009
Virus Bulletin <- requires registration

These types of comparative testing results will vary depending on who is doing the testing, what they are testing for, what versions of anti-virus software is being tested, etc. There are no universally predefined set of standards/criteria for testing and each test will yield different results. Thus, you need to look for detailed information about how the tests were conducted, the procedures used, and data results. Read Anti-virus Testing Websites: An overview of testing sites

Choosing an anti-virus is a matter of personal preference, your technical ability and experience, features offered, the amount of resources utilized, how it may affect system performance and what will work best for your system. A particular anti-virus that works well for one person may not work as well for another. You may need to experiment and find the one most suitable for your use. There is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone. Another factor to consider is whether you want to use a paid for product or free alternative. My personal choice is NOD32 Anti-Virus if choosing a paid for program or avast! Home Edition if choosing a free one.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2010 - 02:03 PM

There is no "best" security software. It depends a lot on personal preference.

Personally, I would recommend using either Avira AntiVir Free/Personal edition or avast! for an antivirus program, just be sure that you only have 1 anti-virus program installed on your machine

For additional protection, SpywareBlaster is a great program to protect you from visiting malicious sites, and blocking tracking cookies. Note that SpywareBlaster isn't an actively running program. You download it, run it once, and then make sure you update it every week or 2 and you will always be protected. It works by modifying your HOSTS file and tweaking some IE and Firefox settings to block tracking cookies and provide additional protection.

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 15 January 2010 - 05:37 AM

On Windows XP, avast! is best free anti-virus. Make sure you update IE to latest version and install all hotfixes and patches for XP. Use Opera, Firefox or Chrome for browsing.

#5 sotoj159

sotoj159

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2010 - 03:24 PM

i use COMODO Internet Security...it's an antivirus, and a firewall.....u can get it from here: http://www.comodo.com/home/download/download.php?prod=cis

or just go to comodo.com

also, if u want to check a file real quick, u could use virus total: http://www.virustotal.com/
on the site, u upload ur file, and it will scan it against about 40 different antivirus programs.

...BUT, just as it says on the website itself: "VirusTotal is not substitute any antivirus software installed in a PC, as it only scans individual files on demand. It does not offer permanent protection for the user's system either.

Although the detection rate afforded by the use of multiple antivirus engines is far superior to that offered by just one product, these results DO NOT guarantee the harmlessness of a file.

Currently, there is not any solution that offers a 100% effectiveness rate for detecting viruses and malware. You may become a victim of misleading advertising, if you buy such a product under those premises."

so u should still download an av program

Edited by sotoj159, 17 January 2010 - 03:31 PM.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,734 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2010 - 09:08 AM

ESET offers a free free 30-day trial for NOD32 Antivirus. After the trial period you have to purchase a license.

#7 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2010 - 05:22 PM

McAfee is offering free 6 month license to Facebook users. Just add McAfee as your friend on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/McAfee

#8 Mike_O

Mike_O

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 20 January 2010 - 12:24 PM

In my humble opinion, avast! Antivirus is the outstanding option when it comes to free (or even paid) antivirus. Version 5.0, which was released yesterday, has impressed me a lot and my expectations were high to begin with.

#9 Someones

Someones

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2010 - 08:24 PM

TopTen Review: AntiVirus Software Product Comparisons

TopTenReviews is a scam site according to AV-Comparatives, and has a yellow WOT rating. I'm not sure why it's being recommended?

To OP, you could also check out PC World's Free Antivirus Software review, Remove-Malware and the Gizmo's Freeware review.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,734 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2010 - 07:17 AM

McAfee Site Advisor and Norton Safe Web says toptenreviews.com is fine.

#11 Someones

Someones

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2010 - 08:42 PM

Well in AV-Comparatives Antivirus Testing Websites report (April 2007), it says "Test results influenced by money [include] TopTenReviews...The author stitches up a web site with more or less junk info...No one should rely on or even visit such sites."

Also, if I'm not mistaken SiteAdvisor and Safe Web are primarily designed to stop malware infections, not untrustworthy reviews of software.

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,734 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2010 - 11:25 PM

in AV-Comparatives Antivirus Testing Websites report (April 2007), it says "Test results influenced by money [include] TopTenReviews...The author stitches up a web site with more or less junk info...No one should rely on or even visit such sites."

Could be they say such things in order to promote their own testing results and knock down those of competitors...I provide the information from various sources so the reader can make an informed decision.

Also, if I'm not mistaken SiteAdvisor and Safe Web are primarily designed to stop malware infections, not untrustworthy reviews of software.

You cited the site as yellow rating by WOT, nothing about a review so I merely pointed out that similar browsing programs can show different ratings.

#13 Someones

Someones

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2010 - 07:53 PM

Could be they say such things in order to promote their own testing results and knock down those of competitors...I provide the information from various sources so the reader can make an informed decision.

Hm, in the same report they say AV-Test (arguably their biggest competitor with magazines usually employing them for tests), VirusBulletin, CheckVir, ICSA labs and West Coast are trustworthy tests. Why would they randomly single out TopTenReviews if it really is so reliable?

You cited the site as yellow rating by WOT, nothing about a review so I merely pointed out that similar browsing programs can show different ratings.

Yes, but WOT's criteria more general, with 'Trustworthiness' and 'Vendor reliability', whilst SiteAdvisor and SafeWeb are focused on actual malware.

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,734 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2010 - 11:04 PM

....in the same report they say AV-Test (arguably their biggest competitor with magazines usually employing them for tests), VirusBulletin, CheckVir, ICSA labs and West Coast are trustworthy tests. Why would they randomly single out TopTenReviews if it really is so reliable?

Because it is their opinion and opinions are subjective.

SiteAdvisor is a free browser plug-in that warns you about risky websites sites that can't be trusted, gives safety advice and ratings about websites before you click on a possible risky site.

WOT (Web of Trust) is a free browser add-on that warns you about risky websites sites that can't be trusted and those which are trusted by the WOT Community Trust Network.

Both SiteAdvisor and WOT are essentially safe browsing tools which use a community of volunteer members who exchange knowledge of websites. They both utilize a rating system to indicate overall safety based on trustworthiness, vendor reliability, privacy and child safety. While these tools are useful, they are not foolproof and sometimes may provide misleading ratings. Just because you visit a risky site does not automatically mean the site is bad or that your system has been infected by going there.

Norton Safe Web allows you to look up websites and obtain a site rating. It is a very good resource for getting second opinions on sites which WOT or SiteAdvisor may indicate as risky.

If you don't like TopTen, then don't go there. I don't have a problem with it. Again, I provide the information from various sources so the reader can make an informed decision.

#15 RJ350z

RJ350z

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2010 - 12:58 AM

Avira seems to be the leader as far as what I've been reading on the free stuff. If I were to use a free one, it would be that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users