Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing HP 932c printer on Windows 98 computer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Firetooth

Firetooth

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 13 January 2010 - 05:11 PM

Hi,
I am trying to install an HP deskjet 932c printer onto my old but great computer in Windows 98. The printer works fine on my other computer in XP.
I found the exe file (930-3nu-9xinfu.exe) checked it for viruses and malware, and imported it into the computer (this computer is not on the internet) via zip disc. Opened it and the file 9xinf now sits on my desktop.

I shut down the computer and connected the printer (which is currently off). I restarted the computer and a wizard appeared saying searching for new drivers.
I click next. Then click on "Search for the best drivers for your device".
I click next. There is an option for specify a location. This is where the problem is.
There are several options in the menu, all of which lead to "Windows was unable to locate a driver for this device."
There is also a browse button which whites out the "okay" option for anything except what is already in the drop-down menu.

I would really appreciate any suggestions.
Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 13 January 2010 - 06:14 PM

Is this the driver you downloaded? If so, you need to follow the instructions on that page about creating the folder c:\dj930 which in turn creates c:\dj930\9xinf which is where you would browse to for the .inf file. I don't think you can browse to the desktop and even if you could its not really a good idea to run a driver from there.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 Firetooth

Firetooth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2010 - 07:39 PM

Thank you Leurgy!
I downloaded from another site that didn't have this info. Will follow the steps and give a report back.
Love this place!

#4 Firetooth

Firetooth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2010 - 08:15 PM

Update:
Followed the instructions. Had to modify a bit because unable to download directly into folder due to zip disc transfer, but the really detailed instructions made that possible. Worked like a charm! Printer is happily printing away!
Thanks again Leurgy :thumbsup:

#5 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 14 January 2010 - 08:17 AM

You're welcome Firetooth, glad that worked out for you. :thumbsup:

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users