Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Frozen Laptop

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 asterlotus

asterlotus

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 13 January 2010 - 02:14 PM

I have a gateway laptop and on startup it is freezing up. I get a screen which says Gateway in the middle. Lower left hand bottom it says Press F2 for system utilities. Above lower right hand bar on the sceren it say Bios Setting F2 and Boot Menu F10.
When I press F2 it says wait and nothing happens.

Then I do Ctl-Atl-Delete and nothing happens and still nothing happens. So I turn it of. It turns off.

When I restart this happens again and the same thing happens again and again.

Please help. What can I do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kyle Richards

Kyle Richards

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2010 - 02:16 PM

Hello Asterlotus,

Is this a new out of the box Gateway laptop or is it a few years old?

Can you please provide a model number for this computer? There may already be a fix for the problem available from Gateway that we can research.

#3 asterlotus

asterlotus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2010 - 02:39 PM

Hello Kyle

This is a few years old and the box says GATEWAY MT6707 Notebook PC.

Have not used it much but lately have been using it.

#4 Kyle Richards

Kyle Richards

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2010 - 04:01 PM

It sounds like its a hardware problem. There are a couple of easier steps we can try before delving into the motherboard. It does help to have a set of smaller Philips head screw drivers for some of these steps. Lets work from easiest to hardest:

1.) Try taking out the battery and plugging the laptop into AC power. Power the computer on and see if it boots.
2.) If the above step did not resolve the problem, put the battery back in. Try removing the hard drive and booting. See if it makes it past the BIOS screen. If not, replace the hard drive and move on to step 3. (can explain how to take the hard drive out if you need)
3.) Remove the memory modules from the computer. There may be 2 under a panel on the back of the computer or one under the panel and one under the keyboard. Remove them 1 at a time and see how far you get into booting the computer up. (again, can explain how to do this if you need)

Report your findings back from those steps.

#5 asterlotus

asterlotus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2010 - 08:59 PM

Kyle,

I left the laptop off for a few hours and I turned it back on and now it is working. But this is a continuous process and this has happened before several times before i posted on this site.. Why is this an intermuittent problem?

I plan to do what you have told me.

I will keep you posted.

Thanks

#6 asterlotus

asterlotus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2010 - 08:42 AM

Model Gateway MT6707 Notebook PC