Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Error Memory Dump Files

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff231

Jeff231

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 13 January 2010 - 02:08 PM

Hello,

Every time I run disk cleanup I get 428MB of system error memory dump files. I select it for it to be deleted but after doing so, and running disk cleanup immediatly after and after reboot, it's still there at 428MB. Does anyone know why this is happening?

Thanks,
Jeff

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 13 January 2010 - 03:48 PM

It's not really necessary to delete these memory dumps anyway. Most PC's are never cleaned out, and run just fine. Besides, with it only taking up 428MB, it really isn't an issue.

What may be happening is this: Windows reserves 428MB of disk space for memory dumps, and when you clean out the ones that are there, the 428MB is still reserved. Now this is just speculation, but it could be true.

What program are you using to do the cleanups?
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 Jeff231

Jeff231
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 13 January 2010 - 05:35 PM

Thanks for the reply. I agree 428MB isn't much space, but I was just curious why it was doing this. I was just using the normal "Disk Cleanup" in the start menu for Windows 7.

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 13 January 2010 - 06:45 PM

I see. Try Ccleaner, and see if they remain after using it. Make sure you pay attention to what boxes are checked not only on the Windows tab, but also on the Applications tab, as it will wipe out all your internet history and everything unless you tell it not to. (I like to keep my history to find websites than I couldn't find or remember otherwise). Just do not use the Registry cleanup that is built into Ccleaner for reasons mentioned here.

But yeah, see if that takes care of it. If not, just don't worry about it. :huh:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 13 January 2010 - 08:40 PM

Are you referring to files in C:\Windows\Minidump folder?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users