Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wndows XP Pro/ can't use Microsoft Update

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 teller1

teller1

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 13 January 2010 - 01:53 PM

I'm helping a friend with her computer, which she was given as a gift. When she tries to use Microsoft Update she always gets the same error message. Update offers her the choice of 'express' or 'custom' and she always chooses 'express'. Update then begins checking for the latest updates, but after a few seconds displays the error message:

Files required to use Microsoft Update are no longer registered or installed on your computer. To continue:

Register or reinstall the files for me now (Recommended)
Let me read about more steps that might be required to solve the problem

She has tried both options. When she trys to read for more steps, she gets a search function and tries the key words 'Microsoft' and 'Update' the listed topics all give a specifically nubered error such as the '0x80072EE7 error'. When she tries the register or reinstall option, the site shows: download - 100% register - runs up to 100% then she gets kicked over to the 'Try Microsoft Update Today' page. She tries 'start now' and then, when the site checks if she has the latest version, she gets that same error message. What could the problem be?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,267 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2010 - 03:48 PM

Well...my first question would be...why is she going to Microsoft Update?

What applications does she have installed...that require such?

Louis

#3 teller1

teller1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2010 - 04:03 PM

She was just given the computer and she was wanting to make sure it was up to date all at once. I had suggested she just set up for automatic updates, but she is a little impatient. As far as I know, she does not have any programs that require an immediate update.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,267 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2010 - 04:56 PM

Well...I mean, there's a difference between Windows Update Site and the Microsoft Update site.

From http://4sysops.com/archives/windows-update...rotection-nap/:

"The most important difference is the one between Windows Update and Microsoft Update. Windows Update allows you to patch Windows and Microsoft Update patches Windows and some other Microsoft applications (Microsoft Office, SQL Server, Exchange). In Windows XP/2003 you only can use Microsoft Update if you have the latest Windows Update Agent installed. You can do this thru Windows Update configuration which you can find in the Help and Support Center. Microsoft Update is then enabled by default, but you can disable it by clicking on “Change settings”. "

It's a good idea to manually update Windows, IMO...fewer problems seem to occur.

Critical updates are much more important than all the other optional updates which are available at either WUS or Microsoft Update.

Louis

#5 teller1

teller1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2010 - 05:51 PM

OK...Great news. Thanks so much. I'll see how that goes.

Edited by teller1, 13 January 2010 - 05:52 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users