Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Floppy Drive problem

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 gonsalves

gonsalves

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 13 January 2010 - 12:58 PM

I recently upgraded my PC from P3 to AMD Athlon X2 with new Mother Board and Rams. I was using a software which has its Licence Key code in a floppy. My new Machine does not have a FDD. When I try to install the Software it asks for Keycode and searches Drive A. I have managed to copy this Keycode to a pendrive, But the software does not accept it. It always asks to put floppy in Drive A.Can someone tell me how to overcome this problem. I need this software installed to complete my project. Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 13 January 2010 - 02:10 PM

Never mind, thought I had an answer but decided it wasn't such a good idea after all.

Sorry.

Edited by FlannelBack, 13 January 2010 - 02:48 PM.

#3 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 13 January 2010 - 03:54 PM

1. Which software is this? Does it show a text box to enter the license code? If so, simply paste it there.

Or

2. Get hold of a used FDD, connect it to your system and voila !
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#4 gonsalves

gonsalves
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2010 - 09:23 PM

It is a software for making PLC ladder from AB. It will not show any text box. At one stage of installation it will ask for keycode and say insert lic.floppy and then closes saying installation aborted, no keycode found. 2)It seems that my new board does not support a floppy.

#5 gonsalves

gonsalves
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2010 - 08:08 AM

I know that Cracks or patches are available for this software but as long as I have a genuine keycode I am not interested to apply those. These logics which I am working on now, will be running on machines with original licence and may run into problem if developed with warez software. As far as I know the Key will link to the address of the network card and also to the Hardware configuration of the machine it is installed.

#6 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2010 - 06:04 PM

You could probably get a cheap External USB Floppy Drive.

#7 gonsalves

gonsalves
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2010 - 10:26 AM

Hi, ReviverSoft,
I tried, but the external FDD is listed as a USB device when my software checks fo key in Drive A. Is there any way to get this device to be listed as A drive?

#8 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,117 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2010 - 10:42 AM

Possibly going into "manage" in My computer and changing the drive letter on your pendrive will let you sneak by.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#9 gonsalves

gonsalves
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2010 - 11:56 AM

I am going to try what OldPhil suggested, but my doubt is that when I change the hardware config. I will run into problems. About two years back I had some problem with my CD drive and physically disabled it. The next day The ladder Editor refused to open. When I contacted the Customer support people they said that the hardware config should not be altered. Before posting in our forum I had contacted the support service. They said that I have to connect a FDD. You all know how these guys think. They don't explore other possibilities other than what their instruction manual says.

#10 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,117 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2010 - 12:42 PM

Would you for $8 per hour?

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#11 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2010 - 02:39 PM

"I tried, but the external FDD is listed as a USB device when my software checks fo key in Drive A. Is there any way to get this device to be listed as A drive?"

How about giving the "DOS" "SUBST" command a shot. Say your system is assigning your usb external FDD the drive letter "X":

Open a "Command Prompt" window. At the prompt type: subst A: X:\ and hit "Enter", type Exit and hit "Enter"

From my "My computer" in Explorer you should see your external FDD being listed twice, once as Floppy (A:) and once as the external drive "X":

You would use the letter your system is assigning to the usb external FDD instead of "X".

To undo this setting, open the "Command Prompt" window and type: subst A: /D and hit "Enter", type Exit and hit "Enter"

#12 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2010 - 06:34 PM

^ Yeah, try that and let us know.

#13 gonsalves

gonsalves
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2010 - 03:31 AM

Hi FlannelBack,
Substitution from DOS is superb idea. I will try it and let you know as soon as I reach home. I am posting this from my office.

#14 gonsalves

gonsalves
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2010 - 08:57 PM

Hi FlannelBack,
That did the trick for me.Thanks a ton. Also, thanks to all those friends who spared their time for me.

#15 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2010 - 10:24 PM

Glad you've got it working and thanks for the feed back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users