Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screen goes dark after logon

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Pareeeee

Pareeeee

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 13 January 2010 - 12:40 PM

Ok. This has happened a few times now. Not every time I startup though.

I just got a new Compaq computer from Staples with Windows 7 64bit on it. Sometimes my screen goes dark after logon like the brightness settings are set low...

It looks normal when I get to the logon screen - then I click my username and it brings me into windows and then the screen goes dark. I can still see everything, icons, desktop, cursor, etc. It's as if the brightness suddenly pops down a few notches!? It is very annoying, since the only thing that puts it back to normal is a Restart.

If anyone has any ideas, plz let me know!!!
Thanks

PS: I'm wondering if my customized NVIDIA settings could have anything to do with it???

Edited by Pareeeee, 13 January 2010 - 12:43 PM.

~Pareeeee

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 13 January 2010 - 12:50 PM

If this is a brand new computer, I'd take it back. There is no need to start troubleshooting right out of the box!

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2010 - 12:52 PM

Set the Nvida settings back to stock and see if that does it

I just got a new Compaq computer from Staples

It's under warranty
Take it back
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 13 January 2010 - 03:07 PM

Well, if it was me, I'd end up fighting with it for few days, then eventually take it back. It may just be incorrect settings, or something deeper. No way to really know right now.

Take it back to Staples, get your money back, and go buy a real computer (HP, Dell, Mac, etc.). And from what I've seen, avoid NVIDIA graphics cards!!
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#5 bskp

bskp

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 13 January 2010 - 03:41 PM

If the laptop is running on battery power the screen will be dim because of the default power settings. Depending on your laptop the setting may be in the BIOS or custom Compaq program. If you're not familar with this computer take it back and have a staples tech set it for you.

#6 Pareeeee

Pareeeee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2010 - 04:24 PM

OK I realize I didnt give enough info in my original post.

If I did take it back, I would be exchanging for the same computer model. (Compaq CQ5210F Desktop PC, 3GB ram 500GB HD, AMD Athlon II x2 215 Dual Core Processor)

keyboardNinja: Compaq is a "real" computer which is made by Hewlett Packard. You should know that... This model gets very high ratings on many review websites.

I got this computer for Christmas. I bought a separate brand new NVIDIA 9500GT 1GB video card, with a brand new power supply to support it. When I installed the card I pressed F10 at startup to go through BIOS settings and disabled the onboard video card and enabled the new one. I don't think I did anything wrong in the BIOS settings - I followed the instructions on th HP website - but is it possible I forgot to select something???

Any way of knowing WHICH component could be causing it? I don't want to dissassemble all the new hardware and take the computer back just to find it wasn't the computer at all, but the video card or power supply.

Thanks in advance

Edited by Pareeeee, 13 January 2010 - 06:02 PM.

~Pareeeee

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users