Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to get back HP essential items after clean install of Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jnl

jnl

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 13 January 2010 - 12:25 PM

I did a clean install of Windows 7 on my HP Pavilion e9107c with the upgrade disc that came with the purchase of my PC and it was successful. I ran all of the Windows updates. The computer is running fine and I'm able to access the Internet. I had backed up all of my files on an external drive so they are safe. The one snag is that everything relating to my HP system is missing. When I do a search for HP via the start menu, there is nothing that shows up and nothing shows up in my list of programs, either. I'm not even able to get my indentification numbers when I press "Ctrl Alt S." I was not sure what HP items were necessary for running my PC, so I called HP support. Apparently it is important that I have something called "Hardware Diagnostic Tools" and "Recovery Manager." The agent said that since I formatted the drives that there is no way to re-install the essential HP items unless I used my system restore disks to restore to Vista and then run an upgrade to 7. I don't want to do that. The agent said that if there is ever a problem with my hard drive and I call them for support, that I'm going to have to go through that process anyway because they can't diagnose it without the "Hardware Diagnostic."

Does anyone know how to put the Hardware Diagnstic, Recovery Manager, and any other essential HP items back on my PC without having to revert to Vista and upgrade?

Background: With my PC, the instructions were to first run the "HP Upgrade Assistant" and next the "Windows 7 Upgrade." If doing the upgrade, one must re-insert the "HP Upgrade Assistant" again after the Windows 7 Upgrade. The instructions if doing a clean install were to run the "HP Upgrade Assistant" then the "Windows 7 Upgrade" and then download any necessary drivers. I only ran the two discs, I'm not sure which drivers I need to download from the HP website.

This is the first time I've ever done a clean install.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 13 January 2010 - 12:39 PM

Well, unless HP offers this software for download on their website, I don't see any other way of getting it back.

But after a quick look at, it appears that they do...

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwar...product=3998947
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 bskp

bskp

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 13 January 2010 - 03:11 PM

Why don't you call HP and ask them?

#4 jnl

jnl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 14 January 2010 - 04:58 PM

Thank you keyboard Ninja!

bskp, I did call HP, but their only advice was for me to put Vista back on and do an upgrade

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users