Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Laptop hardware problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jmtjet

jmtjet

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 13 January 2010 - 08:58 AM

I was given a Dell Latitude C600 laptop with a dead hard drive and now I'm trying to get the thing going. Here's what I'm seeing; when I got the unit I knew the hard drive was bad, so the first step was to replace the drive with a 60 GB hitachi drive. When I try a boot with a Linux live CD, or a Win 2K disk in the CD drive I get: message 1: "secondary hard drive 0 not found" followed by:message 2: "No boot sector on hard drive". Followed by two beeps. The BIOS are Phoenix Tech. version A09. No matter how I set the boot sequence I still get the same messages. So I thought the CD drive was bad, so I replaced it with a new one, but still get the same messages followed by two beeps. I've check the Phoenix beep code and can't find what two beeps mean. The BIOS sees the new hard drive and records it as 60GB. Also, there's no way to reset the BIOS to the default setting. Any ideas on this mystery? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2010 - 12:40 PM

You have the CD player set as the first boot device, correct
You might want to change the CMOS battry underneath the keyboard, I believe
That will also return the BIOS to default settings
Stranger things have happened
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 jmtjet

jmtjet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2010 - 10:39 PM

thanks for the reply. I think you 're on to something there. I'll get a manual and battery for it then have a go at it. :thumbsup:

#4 jmtjet

jmtjet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2010 - 10:40 AM

I worked around the problem by formatting the hitachi drive with an adapter and hooked up to my desktop via usb. After the format I reinstalled it in the laptop and was able to install Ubuntu Linux. I've got it working but there's still issues to be worked on. It's my winter project so I'm in no big hurry. Thanks.

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2010 - 11:52 AM

:thumbsup:
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users