Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Powers on but wont boot

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Rawrb

Rawrb

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 12 January 2010 - 11:44 PM

Specs:
mobo- nForce 750i
video- Geforce 8800GTS
RAM- 3gigs
Power- 500wt
CPU- Core 2 Duo 3.0ghz

Ok so I ordered some RAM and installed it, a few minuets in to running my pc it blue screened, so I rebooted ran a memory check on the new sticks and found out they were bad, I removed them put in my old sticks and tried to reboot but now the computer would power up but nothing happens. I tried puting the sticks back in, swapping slots with different combinations of my old RAM, that doesnt seem to be the problem.

I noticed that my CPU overheat light would turn on the second I powered up my comp, I felt the heatsink and it seemed to be cold, I took the heatsink off leaving the fan connected to the mobo and felt the cpu (yes I know its dumb but look past that) it never even got warm when turning on. I tried disconecting anything that didnt need to be connected and no success. I even took out the procesor before I turned it on and the led was still on and nothing changed. Also my mobo has a display that will give an error number when it fails to boot but it is displaying FF which is the code for no problem detected.

No matter what I disconect or whatever changes I make I dont see a difference in how it fails to boot. All my fans turn in, including the CPU and GPU fans. My hard drive sounds like its doing something, my cd drive led flickers but the screen stays black and it doesnt do the single beep that ussually indicates a successful boot.

I would have to guess that my mobo is dead, I tried reseting the BIOS, but I dont see what had changed in 1min of me swapping out the RAM to RAM that I knew worked. I am trying to get my hands on another CPU fan to see if mabey the mobo thinks mine is broken and so it refuses to start. I surfed a number of other forums and none of the regular solutions seem to help. I was wondering if anyone has had a problem like this or might have something else for me to test before I buy a new mobo, thanks in advance for any advice, sorry for the long post.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 13 January 2010 - 09:58 AM

PSU would be my prime candidate.

Lights...don't mean much when it comes to powering a system, IMO.

Louis

#3 Rawrb

Rawrb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2010 - 12:42 PM

I can try to get my hands on an extra PSU to test but would that make sense that within one min of it working fine it sudenly dies after I turn off the computer. I mean I might understand if something else got fried while working on my computer but Iv never heard of a PSU do that. Still Il try to find an extra one, Thanx.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 13 January 2010 - 01:45 PM

My approach is to try to either confirm/eliminate the obvious.

IMO, inability to boot probably ought to start with checking out the PSU and I always have a PSU from a prior system I've owned which works...so I substitute a PSU easily.

You only need to borrow one for a few minutes.

Louis

#5 Kyle Richards

Kyle Richards

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 AM

Posted 13 January 2010 - 02:14 PM

As you stated, you tried to boot with the CPU taken out of the computer. Did you also have the RAM removed while doing this? With issues like this, i find its best to divide and conquer the problem. Remove all peripherals, hard drives, CD Roms, graphics card, etc. Have it set so that your booting with just the power supply connected to the motherboard. Listen for any beeps, which you should definitely be getting at this point. No beeps tells us its either your power supply or your board. As Hamluis suggests, a PSU is much easier to test than a new motherboard. At this point thats our next step. If a working PSU produces the same results its your board.

#6 Rawrb

Rawrb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2010 - 05:46 PM

Ok well i was able to get a computer to use parts from, I hooked up the new PSU and nothing changed. I tried taking out the video card swapping out the procesor with another one of the same kind and taking out all the drives. So I tried booting with the new PSU with only the new CPU and one stick of RAM that I knew worked. The led is still on and nothing changes, no beeps.

I did not try to boot without RAM because I thought it needs at least 1 stick to boot, I have another light that turns on on the mobo if it doesnt detect RAM and I believe it stops it from booting. I dont see any thing that looks physically broken on the mobo but at this point I think its safe to say that the problem is in the mobo, unless someone has another test I can run.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users