Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Photo Image Sorting

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 polaris6

polaris6

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 12 January 2010 - 11:14 PM

I feel sort of stupid about this issue, but I have run my resource course.

I have a PC with XP (3), plenty of RAM and HD space.

I have 88 jpg photos in a folder on my HD and I want to rearrange how they are shown sequentially, after which I will burn them on a CD in that order and pass them on to my family.

I have multiple options to sort these photos by name, date, size, color, DNA, etc, the I don't really want to use a linear criterion. I want to group all of family X's photos in one series, family Y's in another, and so on. This defies the conventional criteria used in the available sorting tools to which I have access.

On the current HD, these files have sequential numbers; I would like to view them, while I sort them, very much like I would do if they were a PowerPoint slide series ( could do that in PPT, but the photo quality would degrade when I import the photos in to PPT).

Is there not a utility that allows me to view and sort photos in a folder on my HD in XP?

Edit: Moved topic from Photo Albums, Images, and Videos to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 13 January 2010 - 05:32 AM

Picasa, should be ample, for what you want,polaris6  :thumbsup:

Free from Google.

http://picasa.google.com.au/intl/en/

#3 polaris6

polaris6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2010 - 08:02 AM

Picasa is what I tried first.

One has the ability to view and sort very conveniently with Picasa, but once the sorting is finished, the album cannot be saved to a file on the HD. One can burn a CD, if and only if, the computer on which the sorting is being done has a CD burner (I am doing this work on a laptop without a CD burner). I do have a CD burner on my desktop.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 13 January 2010 - 10:27 AM

There are all sorts of free batch rename applications available for download. You could then set up a folder for each family, sort the pics into the appropriate folder, and use the application to rename each picture in each folder (FamilyZ +1, +2 and so one). Once this is done, put the renamed pictures into a single folder on your hard drive and delete the empty family folders.
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 polaris6

polaris6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2010 - 10:49 AM

Thank you. That is a sensible suggestion.

However, I would still have to view 'sort' the individual family pictures.

When I put them on the HD, Windows sorts them by name,date, etc., regardless of how I sort them 'off line'. I would have to rename and number each photo.

I have downloaded several utilities that profess to allow sorting, and they do, but only in the context of their software. The sorting is not transferable to the Windows HD.

All I want/need is to be able to view and sort jpg photos in the order I want and need.

Another issue that is frequently missed/overlooked....while the numbering of photos might start at '1', when viewing them in a slide show, '1' is 'looked at' as if it is '10', if the total number of digitals in the numbering system is 2. Consequently, one has to renumber the first few slides as '01', '02', '03', etc; then the slide show will display all the slides in the correct order.

I thought you would like to know that...

#6 flex-it services

flex-it services

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 14 January 2010 - 04:27 PM

An expensive solution would be to buy something like Adobe Photoshop. It comes with the Adobe Bridge, this has very powerful features.

Adobe Video Tutorials for free
You can click on Bridge CS3 - They haven't created videos for CS4 yet. But would give you some ground basics on how it works.

I don't know of any other solutions. I'm sure someone, here, would!
~~~
It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

#7 polaris6

polaris6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2010 - 05:10 PM

Thank you.

I have PhotoShop7, and I cannot do what I want with it.

I guess I need a utility that lets me sort like Picasa and then renumber/name the file in the order I want, and then store them that way in a folder on the HD.

#8 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 15 January 2010 - 03:51 AM

Sometimes, I use 3 or 4 different lots of software, to achieve what I want.

I found over time, no one software, is great at everything I want.

You may need to do the same. :thumbsup:

#9 polaris6

polaris6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2010 - 09:24 AM

Thank you.

But all I really wanted to do was to order photos the way I wanted them in Windows on my PC. I didn't want to edit them; I didn't want to resize them; and I didn't want to print them...just ordering/sorting them the way I wanted them to show in a slide presentation....without going to PowerPoint.

I guess this cannot be done in a simple and convenient way. I also surmise that the Windows OS is the culprit by restricting the ways files are sorted in a folder, and that it has been this way for over 20 years.

Thank you all again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users