Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ran combofix; nothing seem to happen!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Norby Dooley

Norby Dooley

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 12 January 2010 - 09:53 PM

I was curious to see what combofix would show about my computer. So I downloaded it and followed the instructions. The only thing that happened was a little progress bar displayed. When it finished progressing to 100%, I expected to see something akin to what the tutorial showed would happened. Nothing else happened.

I am running XP Home SP3. I tried this in normal mode and safe mode.

My computer seems to be running okay, i.e., I can't tell any adverse effects.

Any ideas?

Norby :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tomfor

tomfor

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 12 January 2010 - 11:04 PM

was it SAFE MODE with networking? you need an internet connection i believe to get it going. I just used combofix again in safemode with networking and it worked great.

I'm not a mod nor am i very knowledgeable about combofix EXCEPT that i've used it 8 or 9 times and it worked every time for me. If i can find a paypal link i'm going to toss someone some cash, this program works EVERY time for me.

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,987 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 12 January 2010 - 11:42 PM

Hello Norby Dooley,

I am curious to know what you meant by a tutorial for ComboFix since there isn't one publicly available.

It as unwise to run ComboFix for the reasons you did as it is to do exploratory surgery to find out how your body is put together. Please read this topic: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/273628/combofix-usage-questions-help-look-here/ concerning ComboFix.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2010 - 11:23 AM

tutorial for ComboFix since there isn't one publicly available.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 Norby Dooley

Norby Dooley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2010 - 01:06 AM

tutorial for ComboFix since there isn't one publicly available.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix

Yep, that would be the tutorial I was talking about.

Norby

#6 Norby Dooley

Norby Dooley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2010 - 09:09 PM

Hello Norby Dooley,

I am curious to know what you meant by a tutorial for ComboFix since there isn't one publicly available.

It as unwise to run ComboFix for the reasons you did as it is to do exploratory surgery to find out how your body is put together. Please read this topic: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/273628/combofix-usage-questions-help-look-here/ concerning ComboFix.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:

OK, for the curious, I felt "safe" running combofix for 2 basic reasons:

1. I am not an unexperienced computer user. I may not be the world's expert on PC's, but I know my way around and what I am doing. I've run lots of diagnostic programs before with no problems. Combofix seemed like just another diagnostic to me, all the warnings notwithstanding.

2. I heard about combofix on a local TV channel in response to a comment about a caller asking about his computer having some problems. The PC technician told the caller to run combofix in safe mode. (I must have missed the part about "with networking".) I figured if a PC technician is telling an inexperienced PC user on a public TV station that he should run combofix in safe mode to diagnose his computer, I certainly should have no problem with it. (I guess somebody should get in touch with this PC technician guy and tell him to warn the user how dangerous it can be and to be careful or maybe to take it in to a local shop and ask an experienced person to consider running combofix for him.)

Regards,
Norby

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,590 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2010 - 01:02 PM

The PC technician told the caller to run combofix in safe mode

Combofix is optimized to run from normal mode where it is most effective.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users