Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adobe issues updates to Reader and Acrobat to address critical vulnerabilities

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,640 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 12 January 2010 - 08:12 PM

Adobe posted a security bulletin where they outline critical vulnerabilities in Adobe Reader and Acrobat that could allow a remote user or malicious program to gain control over your computer. To protect yourself, it is strongly advised that you download and install the latest version of Adobe Reader and Acrobat immediately. The current version is version 9.3 and can be downloaded at the link below.

Even if you do not use PDFs, having these programs installed on your computer while browsing the web puts your computer at risk. While browsing the web, a malware distributor or hacker could use use this vulnerability and allow hackers or malware to have full control over your PC. They do this by using Javascript exploits or Iframes to automatically open specially crafted malicious PDF files in the vulnerable Adobe Reader without your permission. Once the malicious PDF is loaded by Adobe Reader or Acrobat, it will execute the commands integrated into the PDF on your computer without your knowledge or permission. These commands could further download other malware onto your computer without your knowledge that open backdoors or steal your information.

Therefore please update Adobe Reader and Acrobat now!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2010 - 08:28 PM

Just curious, if you have FoxIt Reader installed as your default PDF reader, are you still vulnerable to the javascript exploits?

#3 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,640 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2010 - 08:33 PM

The exploits are not necessarily in javascript, but how the pdf is loaded.

#4 freedie

freedie

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 20 January 2010 - 08:39 AM

I get this on that page for Adobe 9.3 link:-

Internet Explorer has stopped trying to restore this website. It appears that the website continues to have a problem.

Is there any other way to update my Adobe 8?

Ta!

Eddie

#5 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,640 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:23 AM

You can try opening reader and then under the help menu select check for updates.

#6 freedie

freedie

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2010 - 11:30 AM

Thanks for the quick reply Grinler!

I did try and got the info. that there are no new updates for Adpbe 8 ... which is probably true!

I am tempted to turn off DEP on Internet Explorer for just long enough to get this update/new program.

Will let you know how I get on.

Eddie

#7 freedie

freedie

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2010 - 01:39 PM

Very odd. Turned off DEP but IE8 still stopped the webpage; but noy quickly enough and got the Adobe Downlaod Manager. Ran that and Abode 9.3 installed OK ... removing Adobe 8 as it did so. All seems normal now. Wish I knew why it all happened as it did!

Ta! again for your swift help Grinler. Sorry I canot supply a useful suggestion/solution for anyone else who esperiences same problem.

Eddie

#8 Bassplayer15

Bassplayer15

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 20 January 2010 - 07:42 PM

Took me a few tries to get to the web page, but I did finally get 9.3. Also not sure if this is a reoccurring problem, but when i went to Adobe -> Help -> Check For Updates it told me "There are no updates at this time." (or something along those lines.) Figured i warn people that even though they may get this message they could still have the vulnerable version.

Thanks for the timely security warning Grinler.
Grace is given freely, but respect must be earned.

#9 SeekingSolutions

SeekingSolutions

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 20 February 2010 - 01:11 AM

Clicking on the first Adobe Link Link: Adobe APSB10-02 Security Bulletin took me to the FBI home page which featured an article about scam popups.
Interesting.
Second link went directly to Adobe 9.3 download. How can I be sure it's the genuine Adobe site? And is it possible to download the simple Reader - all of their flourishes eat up more memory than I can spare.

#10 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,640 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2010 - 10:37 AM

Those links are legit. As for the extras, just dont install them when they ask and you will just get reader.

#11 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 20 February 2010 - 01:05 PM

Those seeking to find a PDF reader without all the Adobe bloat have some choices. PDF X-Change Viewer and Foxit Reader are two of the most popular alternative PDF readers. I use X-Change Viewer myself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users