Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost wireless capability upon cable to DSL switch

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ezecomputer

ezecomputer

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 12 January 2010 - 05:04 PM

I've been operating just fine for the past two years with Cable/cable modem/Linksys WRT110 wireless router until we decided to replace the cable with AT&T DSL yesterday.

AT&T sent me a modem only as I already have the wireless router but now I can only get on the Internet using an Ethernet cable (and I can't send emails using my Windows Live Mail). I followed the instructions from ATT to set up the modem (including shutting off my Norton Firewall) and activate my Internet Service. Their website does not have instructions for installing the Linksys WRT110 but it does state that the router must use PPPoE? and I need to enter usernames and passwords, and it has a few other settings details. I'm confused further because I ran across something called DHCP?? which looks like this is what I should be using.

I also tried reinstalling the wireless router CD. Still nothing works and I can not find the wireless network as an option to choose from.

Laptop
Vista
Installed the DSL filter for the Gateway
Modem: Motorola 2210 (2210-02-1006)
Wireless Router: Linksys WRT110
ISP AT&T/Yahoo
IE8 (also have FireFox)
Norton 360

Edited by ezecomputer, 12 January 2010 - 05:12 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 12 January 2010 - 06:42 PM

Your setup is fairly easy. With the modem, router and PC shut off/unplugged - Plug the supplied Ethernet cable into your modem and the other end into the WAN/Internet port on the back of your Linksys. Plug your PC via Ethernet into the Linksys in one of the 4 other ports. Turn on/plug in the modem, turn on/plug in the Linksys and boot your PC.

There are 2 ways to do this: let the modem make the connection or let the router do it.

The way they would have you set up is you plug your PC into the modem then surf into the modem and enter your user name and password that they supplied you. And you're connected. You can leave it like that and just plug the Ethernet cable end that was in your PC into the Internet port on the back of the Linksys. And the modem will make the connection, your router won't know the difference between the DSL modem and old cable modem.

OR

To set it so the router makes the connection - Open a browser and type 192.168.1.1 and hit Enter -> type admin in the password field, leave the User name blank and hit Enter -> on the left in the Grey and black area you will see "Internet Connection Type" to the right of that you'll see a drop down arrow -> click the drop down and select PPPoE -> You'll want to enter the username and password just as your ISP told you to. -> Put a tick beside "Keep alive" and leave it at 30 seconds. -> at the bottom of the page click "Save Changes" -> let it refresh and open another browser it should connect you.

If the router was setup before then I wouldn't mess with any other settings. If you've connected wireless in the past then it should still be setup. Provided you didn't reset your router. If you reset it then you'll want to stay connected via Ethernet and setup your wireless again. If you didn't reset the router then disconnect the Ethernet cable from your laptop and connect wireless.

Let us know which you picked and if it worked =)

Edited by CaveDweller2, 12 January 2010 - 06:49 PM.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 ezecomputer

ezecomputer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 13 January 2010 - 03:52 PM

Your setup is fairly easy. With the modem, router and PC shut off/unplugged - Plug the supplied Ethernet cable into your modem and the other end into the WAN/Internet port on the back of your Linksys. Plug your PC via Ethernet into the Linksys in one of the 4 other ports. Turn on/plug in the modem, turn on/plug in the Linksys and boot your PC.

There are 2 ways to do this: let the modem make the connection or let the router do it.

The way they would have you set up is you plug your PC into the modem then surf into the modem and enter your user name and password that they supplied you. And you're connected. You can leave it like that and just plug the Ethernet cable end that was in your PC into the Internet port on the back of the Linksys. And the modem will make the connection, your router won't know the difference between the DSL modem and old cable modem.

OR

To set it so the router makes the connection - Open a browser and type 192.168.1.1 and hit Enter -> type admin in the password field, leave the User name blank and hit Enter -> on the left in the Grey and black area you will see "Internet Connection Type" to the right of that you'll see a drop down arrow -> click the drop down and select PPPoE -> You'll want to enter the username and password just as your ISP told you to. -> Put a tick beside "Keep alive" and leave it at 30 seconds. -> at the bottom of the page click "Save Changes" -> let it refresh and open another browser it should connect you.

If the router was setup before then I wouldn't mess with any other settings. If you've connected wireless in the past then it should still be setup. Provided you didn't reset your router. If you reset it then you'll want to stay connected via Ethernet and setup your wireless again. If you didn't reset the router then disconnect the Ethernet cable from your laptop and connect wireless.

Let us know which you picked and if it worked =)

Thank you for the information. I think I messed up several things while I spent a day trying to get this "simple" thing hooked up. I tried both your suggestions, but the first did not work, and the second required the router to be hooked up - which it wasn't because the wireless was not hooked up yet and I had to use the Ethernet cable/Modem in order to connect to Internet. As it turned out, I did need to reset the router's defaults. I went to Linksys's website and followed instructions to hook up DSL. http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/linksy...hp?p_faqid=3687.

It explained several steps, but the first step was "Automatic Configuration - DHCP" option. I changed the Local IP Address from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.2.1. The next step addressed the PPPoE page, which I followed by entering my ISP log in info, but when I was directed to check the status of my login (should be "connected") it stated "disconnected" and I could not get it to "connect" so I closed my browser and tried things again.

I had deleted my "wireless Network" option so I recreated. I'm not exactly sure what I did, but I see my wireless network option and I'm online right now using the wireless router. things seem to be working fine as far as wireless networking, but now I can not send emails using Windows Mail so I'm going to post to that forum.

Thanks again for your help. Your simple explanation was what I needed to get me started.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users