Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Sound After Running Combofix

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 pompous

pompous

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 PM

Posted 12 January 2010 - 02:52 PM

I recently ran Combofix, which caused my computer to not be able to play sounds, whether on the Internet, through playing sound files or movie files, whether through the speakers or headphones. However, when I play a sound file, it playsójust no sound.

Before I used Combofix, I did a backup of my hard drive. After Combofix screwed up my audio the first time, I restored my computer and tested my sound card to make sure that it worked before I ran Combofix. It did. I then reproduced the problem by running Combofix, so Iím 100% sure Combofix caused the problem. (After I use Combofix, I generally run Malwarebytes and Trojan Removal, but I didn't run them this time after I saw that Combofix caused the audio problem.)

(By the way, Iím running XP service pack 3 and my sound card is the Sound Blaster Audigy 2 by Creative.)

Then I tried the following methods of fixing the problem, each time restoring the computer so there was no possibility any method caused additional damage that might have caused other methods to fail:

1) Scanned the registry at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/WindowsNT/CurrentVersion/Drivers32 for any drivers that looked suspect, also checking the value data. I didnít see anything amiss.

2) Updated the drivers by going to the Dell driver downloading site, putting in the service tag and downloading the patch for the Sound Blaster Audigy 2 upgrade. That didnít work.

3) Performed a repair using the Sound Blaster DVD that came with my computer. That didnít work either.

4) Attempted to reinstall the Plug and Play Device Enumerator. (A post I read in a Google search suggested that method; for details, see this link). As you can see, I was really clutching at straws. This didnít work either.

Any ideas on how I can run Combofix to repair viruses and then fix the audio so it works? I'd rather do that than dodge the problem by using other types of virus repair programs to avoid screwing up my audio. Other than this problem, I really like Combofix. It's saved my butt any number of times.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MysterioMask

MysterioMask

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2010 - 12:59 AM

I have the exact same problem nothing seems amiss but i cant hear any audio no matter what i do, someone help.

#3 MysterioMask

MysterioMask

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2010 - 01:33 AM

Ok i just fixed my audio problem this is how i did it, i had the install disc for sound blaster audigy, i used the disk and installed everything i could from the disk, it still didnt fix my audio on restart so i went though into programs and under creative "where audigy is installed for for me" it said creative restore defaults, I clicked that, and i heared a small click almost inaudible, some message popped up and then i tried to play something and it actually played audio . Hope that helps some.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users