Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No sound after xp install

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 caveanimal

caveanimal

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 12 January 2010 - 02:32 PM

Hi guys I'm back again! :thumbsup: I am having problems with my sound. I cant seem to get any from my sound card. it is a creative labs CT-4810. I deleted it in device manager and did a reboot to try and install the drivers. this didnt happen, when i went to device manager the sound card was not listed anymore. I downloaded the drivers and ran setup but it still doesnt work. really confused on this.. can someone help please.

P.S. its my daughter's computer so I am going to try and let her do this so she can learn a little more from experts here. Thanbks in advance for the help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 12 January 2010 - 02:52 PM

Can you tell us what operating system you're using please?

Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#3 caveanimal

caveanimal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2010 - 04:36 PM

sorry forgot that info Xp pro just installed. had another problem with hardware, had help with that already. and fixed.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 12 January 2010 - 05:08 PM

When you look in Device Manager, is there a category called Other? The card should be listed there, and it will stay there until you install the drivers for it.

How did you install the drivers-from a disk or a download?

There is a way to get the drivers IF the card is listed under Other if you don't have the driver disk.
I'll post the details if you need them.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 12 January 2010 - 05:13 PM.

#5 caveanimal

caveanimal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2010 - 07:40 AM

I will look and see if it is listed in other. and as for the drivers, I do not have the disk I downloaded a program from creative. not sure if t worked, not use to installing drivers like that.

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 13 January 2010 - 09:23 AM

Start Menu/Control Panel.
Open Sounds and Audio Devices.
Volume tab.
There is where you'll find out if the driver install worked.
If it didn't, you'll see a message to the effect that there is no device installed on your system.
Since you don't see it listed in Device Manager under Sound, video and game controllers, this is what you will most likely see.

#7 caveanimal

caveanimal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2010 - 01:16 PM

Hi. I went into device manager and in the file other there was nothing. the file other and the one in it has yellow ? marks.. Then I went into the sounds file in control panel and there was nothing there also. so I take it the program that I downloaded didnt work. is there a better place I can get the files. and maybe get your help how to install them? Caveanimal

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2010 - 01:44 PM

Hi. I went into device manager and in the file other there was nothing. the file other and the one in it has yellow ? marks.. Then I went into the sounds file in control panel and there was nothing there also. so I take it the program that I downloaded didnt work. is there a better place I can get the files. and maybe get your help how to install them? Caveanimal

I'm confused. Was there anything at all in Other and if so, what did it say?

#9 caveanimal

caveanimal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2010 - 01:50 PM

There was multimedia audio controler in the sub folder It had a big yellow question mark in front of it........ sorry for the confusion.

Edited by caveanimal, 13 January 2010 - 01:53 PM.

#10 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 13 January 2010 - 04:09 PM

^ What does it show when you double-click it?
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#11 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2010 - 05:24 PM

There was multimedia audio controler in the sub folder It had a big yellow question mark in front of it........ sorry for the confusion.

That would be your audio device. The yellow mark next to it indicates the drivers need to be installed.

edited to add: Please read the post by techextreme, it is after this one. I'll leave the following just in case, but I'm hoping the drivers he linked to will solve the issue. I will repeat this "If it does, and you still have no sound, post back. There is an additional step that can be done that doesn't involve any type of installation."

Since you don't have the driver disk, and the downloaded install did not work:

First go to Device Manager, RIGHT click on the entry.
Choose Update Driver.

When the Update Wizard opens, choose No, not this time. Click Next.

At this point I'm going to list what you should check in each screen, obviously you click Next after each choice.

Install from a list or specific location.

Don't search, I will choose the driver to install.

Uncheck Show Compatible Hardware.

A list will appear, choose Creative. Another list will appear which lists Creative devices, if you see yours listed choose it, click next, and the drivers will install.

If it isn't listed, you could try one, see if that works, if it doesn't try another one.
I can't recall if there may be listings for the series, such as Audigy. If there is you could try one of those.

You'll know if it was a successful install by going back to Sounds and Audio settings in Control Panel and it shows up there.

If it does, and you still have no sound, post back. There is an additional step that can be done that doesn't involve any type of installation.

This method worked for me several times after my Soundblaster driver cd got scratched and rendered useless.
I had to go all over the computer before I found this way of doing it. At the time, Creative wanted to charge me for a driver cd and they did not offer the driver downloads online.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 13 January 2010 - 06:31 PM.

#12 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 13 January 2010 - 05:25 PM

The drivers for the Creative CT-4810 are available here.

The CT-4810 is the older Ensoniq AudioPCI card and still has drivers available for Windows 98, ME, 2000, and XP.

You will be downloading the file named: SBPCI_WebDrvsV5_12_01.exe

Save this file to your desktop and double click on it to run the install.

The 2MB Waveset for AudioPCI cards that is also listed in the drivers section does not need to be downloaded on it's own as it is included with the drivers.

Hope this helps,

Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#13 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2010 - 06:21 PM

Thank you techextreme for the link. I looked but didn't find anything for that card.

This would definitely be better than my method, which is dicey if your card isn't listed.
When I did it the first time, I had to try a few before I found the correct driver.

#14 caveanimal

caveanimal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2010 - 08:00 PM

well I downloaded the file that techextreme said to and ran it, it didnt appear in device manager so I installed it the way that queenevie told me too. that installed it. But i still do not get sound. there is in sound and video folder. Audio codecs, creative audio pci , game port for creative, An intel audio controller, legasy audio drivers, legacy video capture devices, media control devices, and finally video codecs. and when I reboot the computer it hangs forever. any thing else I can do ?

#15 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2010 - 09:07 PM

If the drivers installed:

Something to check (this seems to be what needs to be done with SB cards after driver install)

Start/Control Panel.

Open Sound and Audio Devices.

Volume tab, click on Advanced in Device Volume.

Play control should open.

Click on Options/Properties. Place a checkmark by everything, click OK.
Back to Options/Advanced Controls.

If under any of the categories, you see Advanced click on that, if a box opens that has
OTHER CONTROLS/1 Digital Output Only* check if it's unchecked. (if you see Advanced in the panel Volume Control, you won't need to check any other advanced settings.)
If it's unchecked, check it.

Open up a player, add a music file, do you now have sound? If you have to, plug the speakers into every port on the card and see if it works.

*it may have another number. If it does, check or uncheck it.

As for the computer "hanging forever" that is something others will have help you with.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 13 January 2010 - 09:24 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users