Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible Crash and problems getting into safemode

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 altishima

altishima

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 23 August 2005 - 12:41 AM

I run Win98 and just recently noticed that my PC was not performing up to par. I kept running Ad-Aware, Housecall, and Search and Destroy but nothing found anything besides the normal cookies.

I have Sygate Firewall on the computer and just 3 days ago, kernell32.dll started trying to access the internet. I didn't think it needed net access so I was blocked. Yesterday, Explorer.exe tryed to gain net access and I know for fact that it isn't supposed to.

I had my mom look at it, ran Hi-Jack this and made a log file. She deleted a fe things from the log after I had saved it but then the pc went haywire.

Since she deleted those items, I haven't been able to log on onto the computer without having an error for Explorer. We've tried to fix it by using the boot disk and replace the missing files, and redo the registry but so far, the re-install gets stuck at 34%, usually when installing ole32.dll, and everything after that won't copy.

I tried to simply uninstal 98 using the Startup Disk so that I could re-install it, but that has been unsuccessful. When trying to get into safe mode in order to clear out the registry..I encountered the error "Windows Protection Error. Please Restart Your Computer." Now, when I allow Windows to boot to the login page, that is the error I receive.

If I leave in the Startup Disk, it goes to the Command Prompt, but will not accept any of the prompts I put in.

Hope this is clear enough, and I really hope someone can help me with this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 23 August 2005 - 02:08 AM

You should not try to fix anything with HJT, unless you have been properly trained in it's use.
HJT is a tool used to locate "problems".
The removal of these "problems" is sometimes much more involved, than just having HJT fix it.
The improper use of HJT could also cause damage to your system.

I suggest you post a HJT log for our Team to examine.
They'll take you through the fix, step by step.

Read How to post a HijackThis Log.
Please read, and follow, all directions carefully.

Then, run a log, and post it in the HJT forum, at this link. Do not, fix anything, yet.
A member, of the HJT Team, will help you out.
It may take a while to get a response, because the HJT Team are very busy. Please, be patient, these people are volunteers. They will help you out, as soon as possible.

NOTE:
Once you have made the post, please, DO NOT make another post in the HJT forum, until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. The first thing they look for, when looking for logs to reply to, is 0 replies. If you make another post, there will be 1 reply. The team member, glancing over the replies, might assume someone is already helping you out, and will not respond. So, just make your post, and let it sit there, until a team member responds. This way you will be taken care of, in the most timely manner.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 altishima

altishima
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2005 - 02:13 AM

I would be happy to post up a log, but I have to be able to get into the pc first. I still can't get into safe mode...now that I can at least reach the prompt, I need to "Type the name of the Command Interpreter (e.g., C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM)"

If I can get into safemode, I'll at least be able to save and transfer a log so that I can post it, but right now I can't figure out how.

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 23 August 2005 - 08:49 AM

Start the computer with the bootdisk and at the A:> type in the following followed by pressing enter (the spaces are important):

Scanreg /restore

You will see a list of registry backups called rb000.cab, rb001.cab, rb002.cab etc. Pick one that says Started.

If that doesn't work try booting with the disk again and type the following:

Copy A:\command.com C:

That will replace that file so you will have the command interpreter back.

Do you have a 98 CD?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 altishima

altishima
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2005 - 11:47 AM

I have the 98 CD but I can't find the boot disk. Earlier when searching for possible solutions, I came across BootDisk.com, but I am not sure which 98 bootdisk I should use.

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2005 - 11:53 AM

Use the 98SE OEM. That will be fine. The file you download is an .exe file. Put a blank formatted floppy in the drive and open the .exe. This will create the bootdisk. In other words, the file that you download is not the files for the boot disk, it makes one.

You need to be aware that when you boot with that your CD drive letter becomes R:

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#7 altishima

altishima
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2005 - 04:05 PM

I tried to use the scanreg/ restore but it says bad file...if I press F8 before windows begins to start with the Startup Disk in, it takes me to the Startup Menu...if I dont I the I get these options;

1. Start with Cd-Rom support
2. Start without Cd-Rom support
3. View the HELP file.

If I get to the Startup menu, I am given the usually options but will list them:

1. Normal
2. Logged (\BOOTLOG.TXT)
3. Safe Mode
4. Step-by-Step COnfiguration
5. Command Prompt Only
6.Safe mode command prompt only

If I go into Safemode, I encounter X> (X=whatever drive specified)...in this mode, none of the input commands work.

I have not to open in anything other than Safemode and Normal, neither of which work.

I also tried booting boths ways you told me, and neither worked.

At this point, I really am not sure what to do, but any help if greatly appreciated.

#8 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2005 - 05:23 PM

Actually I gave some bad info previously. You don't need the boot disk to run scanreg. Use F8 (start tapping it as soon as the screen lights up and until you see the menu). Using the arrow keys pick number 5, Command Prompt only, press enter, then type in:

Scanreg /restore

and press enter.

Not scanreg/ restore. It needs to be exactly as above.

When using the boot disk, you can pick either with or without CD Support depending on whether you want to use the CD drive. Then type in:

Copy A:\command.com C:

and press enter. It needs to be exactly like that. Remove the boot disk and press Ctrl+Alt+Delete to restart.

#9 altishima

altishima
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2005 - 05:34 PM

I used the second option

COPY A:\command.com C:\

it would not copy using only C: or C:\, needed a specific folder I guess; I used

C:\WINDOWS...will this cause any problems?

#10 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2005 - 05:45 PM

Command.com needs to be at the root of C:, or in C:. It won't hurt anything having it in C:Windows but it I'm not sure it will work from there either.

Does it boot now?

#11 altishima

altishima
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2005 - 05:50 PM

No, when allowed to fiish booting, I rcvd a blue lined screen, by pressing any button, I received "Windows protection error. You need to restart your computer."...this was followed by a "Press any key to continue..." and then the system shut itself down.

#12 altishima

altishima
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2005 - 12:42 AM

Still no luck with it, and I really do need this and the information on it...

Is there anything I could do to simply extract the files from the hard drive or is reformating the best option for me?

#13 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2005 - 08:58 AM

Try reinstalling 98 over top of itself. Put your 98 CD in the drive, and boot with your boot disk and choose "with CD support". If you are using the bootdisk.com one, your CD drive will be R:, but the last screen you see will tell you that for sure. When you get to A:\> type in the following:

cd R: <enter>

Setup <enter>

This will start Windows 98 setup. Your files will remain intact, this simply overwrites the system files. You will need to get all the Windows Udates again as your system will be as it was when the 98 CD was recorded.

Failing that you can move the hard drive to another computer and slave it to a primary drive and copy your files off it.

#14 altishima

altishima
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2005 - 06:43 PM

That did the trick...though I had tried reinstalling 98 over it before.

My mom has posted a hijackthis log under her screenname, Cyndi_Truj, just to make sure that everything gets cleaned correctly.

#15 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2005 - 07:16 PM

Thanks for letting us know altishima. I hope you are copying those files you needed to CD or floppy as a backup. :thumbsup:

Glad we could help, just sorry it took so long. :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users