Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

help ASAP

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 sharpie

sharpie

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 12 January 2010 - 12:48 PM

i closed my laptop to do some cleaning and when i came back i opened it and the screen wouldnt get as bright as it usually does and i could see things, just not that well. so i try to reboot and it wont boot up. it takes me to the boot up in safe mode option page. i tried every option many times and nothing happens so i insert the win xp pro disk to repair and that wont load either. it will go through all the steps and say setting up windows, but at the very end i get a message. something saying that i need to visit www.hardware-update.com something about acpi bios compliant im not sure. then i restarted the compputer and it workes fine, but im scared to restart.

any ideas?

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 12 January 2010 - 03:04 PM

hmmmm interesting dilemna, could be a failing CMOS battery. Do you know how to get to it on your laptop? Im not sure that thats it, but it definitly sounds hardware related, probably something to do with your BIOS (like a failing battery i mentioned) or perhaps a failing motherboard. IF its the battery with a little work you should be able to replace that, if its the motherboard well, you may need a new laptop/

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 sharpie

sharpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2010 - 04:01 PM

well, how do i know? is there some sort of scan i can do to check for quality? ive tried downloading and looking at some, but i have no idea what the readings mean....

thanks patriot

Edited by sharpie, 12 January 2010 - 05:51 PM.

#4 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 12 January 2010 - 06:56 PM

Which laptop is this?
If you can access the CMOS battery section, I suggest you try a new replacement battery and see if that fixes the problem.

If this is a HP laptop, there's an application called HP Display Settings Utility (something along those lines), where you can manually increase the brightness.
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,525 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2010 - 07:10 PM

fwiw, that URL of www.hardware-update.com is a parked domain and not relevant to any helpful information for you. So thats an interesting thing to have pop up.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 sharpie

sharpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2010 - 09:10 PM

there are no scans i can do or anything? its a toshiba and the last time this happened was around 11 days ago. so lets say i do purchase a new battery would i need to wait 11 or so days to find out if i have a battery problem? i never really know when im going to have the problem it just happens, but after several tries it works. battery seems to be working, it holds a charge for 5 in a half hours.

#7 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 12 January 2010 - 09:34 PM

Unless I am misunderstanding Sharpie, I believe in your last post that you are talking about a different battery than the one that is being suggested you change.

#8 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,628 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 12 January 2010 - 09:46 PM

Have you dropped the laptop or it's been knocked around recently? Sounds like it could be some severe hardware damage. I googled the domain Animal mentioned and found a thread that should give you some ideas--unfortunately, as already mentioned, if it's a damaged motherboard there is not much you can do. BTW, that domain evidently was valid at some point and someone probably bought it to monetize it when it wasn't renewed--note that the thread is from 2004.
http://www.ozzu.com/hardware/help-laptop-p...lem-t29830.html

This is probably the massage you got:

The BIOS in this system is not fully ACPI compliant. Please contact your system vendor or visit http://www.hardware-update.com for an updated BIOS. If you are unable to obtain an updated BIOS or the latest BIOS supplied by your vendor is not ACPI compliant, you can turn off ACPI mode during text mode setup. To do this, simply press the F7 key when you are prompted to install storage drivers, The system will not notify you that the F7 key was pressed - it will silently disable ACPI and allow you to continue your installation.

You may have gotten some stop codes too, which would be helpful to know what those were to possibly diagnose the problem.

I'm not a hardware guy and don't have time ATM to get into this in any depth, so I hope someone more knowledgable can take that info and help you out. But it sounds like you may need to Flash your BIOS which is a high risk thing to do, so I wouldn't unless you have someone who really knows what they are doing with you.

Later on in that thread one guy said the problem could have been solved in the first place by reseating your RAM. You might try that first, but it sounds to me that you have onboard video card that is going out, which means the motherboard could be shot.

Before you do anything else, if you have the resources, take the hard drive out and slave it to another computer and save any important data.

Good luck. :thumbsup:

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

#9 sharpie

sharpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2010 - 12:04 PM

yea i think the hdd is screwed. i tried plugging in the laptop without the battery and it would have the same problems. im getting a new laptop next weekend, not to much more i could do with this one,but how do you get rid of a laptop? i wouldnt feel comfortable just throwing it in the trash....any ideas?

thanks so much

#10 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2010 - 12:43 PM

a cmos battery is not the system battery. It is usually the size of a coin on desktops and sometimes larger on laptops. It is mounted on the mainboard and usually requires a system dismantle to get to.

the "www.hardware-update.com .. acpi bios" error message was introduced when win2k first included "onnow" pnp detection and is probably legacy code message in xp. the stop code message might give you more clues but they are often just as ambiguous.

Drivers, bad hardware and even turning the acpi settings off in the bios can cause this message. Hardware from the 90's can often cause problems on desktops that run ok when the hardware is removed. (older 3com 10 base t cards)

Don't toss the laptop. Even if acpi cannot run there are versions of linux that can still be installed and run with a boot switch that ignores the acpi function.

#11 sharpie

sharpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2010 - 04:14 PM

a cmos battery is not the system battery. It is usually the size of a coin on desktops and sometimes larger on laptops. It is mounted on the mainboard and usually requires a system dismantle to get to.

the "www.hardware-update.com .. acpi bios" error message was introduced when win2k first included "onnow" pnp detection and is probably legacy code message in xp. the stop code message might give you more clues but they are often just as ambiguous.

Drivers, bad hardware and even turning the acpi settings off in the bios can cause this message. Hardware from the 90's can often cause problems on desktops that run ok when the hardware is removed. (older 3com 10 base t cards)

Don't toss the laptop. Even if acpi cannot run there are versions of linux that can still be installed and run with a boot switch that ignores the acpi function.

what is a booot switch and what would i do with linux/ the only time ive used anything close to linux is when i used to fool around with a few live cd's that i made (morphix, puppy linux etc)

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 27 January 2010 - 07:07 PM

Could be a failing video card, and how can a CMOS battery that is failing cause the screen to go dim. I have never experienced that in my life of 15 years with computing. A dying or dead CMOS would cause the computer 1) not to boot up at all due to no CMOS 2) system settings such as clock time being reset everytime the computer is on, and thats it. Otherwise a dimming screen points to an LCD issue or a video card one. How long have you had this lap top? CMOS Batteries usually last 3 to 6 years.

#13 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2010 - 07:36 PM

2) system settings such as clock time being reset everytime the computer is on,

Exactly why I suggested the CMOS battery be replaced first.
The brightness setting could have been reset to default, due to the failing battery.

what is a booot switch and what would i do with linux/ the only time ive used anything close to linux is when i used to fool around with a few live cd's that i made (morphix, puppy linux etc)

Those are exactly what sharpie was referring to.
By boot switch she meant, switching the boot sequence order, to make the computer boot from the CD/DVD driver first, instead of the HDD.

Edited by ReviverSoft, 27 January 2010 - 07:37 PM.

#14 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 27 January 2010 - 07:41 PM

2) system settings such as clock time being reset everytime the computer is on,

Exactly why I suggested the CMOS battery be replaced first.
The brightness setting could have been reset to default, due to the failing battery.

But they also state that this happened after the lid was opened up while the computer was in operation which at that point the CMOS Battery wouldn't be involved since the computer was already on.

#15 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2010 - 08:34 PM

True, that might indicate a problem with the video chipset/card.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users