Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

64-bit or 32-bit

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 fleamour

fleamour

• Members
  • 297 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 12 January 2010 - 12:14 PM

I am upgrading to Windows 7 & ordered the 64-bit version by mistake. My main board only supports a maximum of 4GB RAM & I never use it for anything too intensive. I could pay a bit more & hedge my bets by getting both versions on one DVD, however I was going ahead to install the 32-bit version.

My CPU is 64-bit compliant but is 7 dogged by driver issues like XP 64-bit? What are your thoughts?

Edited by fleamour, 12 January 2010 - 12:14 PM.

ASRock Conroe (micro ATX) - Ubuntu 12.04/Win 7 Ultimate (x86)
Intel C2D E8400 3.0GHz/low profile Noctua (single fan)
4GB OCZ DDR2 RAM, GeForce GT220 1024MB

Vintage IBM-T21 laptop, Xubuntu Lucid LTS
512MB KingSpec RAM, 1GHz CPU [T22 Fan], Wireless-G PCMCIA, 7200RPM HDD

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 12 January 2010 - 01:16 PM

I don't think you will have any problems with the fact that it is a 64bit OS. Just keep in mind that you are on a 64bit platform when installing software. I've noticed that all software I have installed will still work on Win 7 64 even if it was designed for 32bit.

Windows 7 is really good about its drivers. Most of the time you wont have any too install. If you have a dedicated graphics card, it usually will install a generic driver for it, but it won't be able too use its full power until you install the manufacturers driver.
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#3 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 12 January 2010 - 02:41 PM

Well, if you have a 64-bit processor, then, of course, you can use 64-bit Windows 7. Even if your RAM limit is 4GB, that's still more than enough RAM for everyday usage.

However, my experience tells me that a 32-bit machine is somewhat more responsive than a 64-bit. I think it's because the 64-bit is more "bulky", and therefore makes it have more lag time (it may just be marginal, but I talked more about this issue here). It's like a full-blown bulldozer versus a Bobcat.....the dozer is more powerful, but is also a little slower. (that's the best analogy I could come up with). The Bobcat is a lot faster, but has less "oomph" to push things along. Does that make sense?

If you already bought the 64-bit version, then you might as well use it. But I personally think you will get a little more speed out of a 32-bit os. The RAM limits you anyway. The main reason behind having 64-bit is to have more RAM. But you said you can't do that, so you might as well take advantage of the faster 32-bit.

That's my 2 cents. :huh:

Oh, almost forgot....I have hardly ever had a problem with drivers in Windows 7 (may not be the same for all systems). Just install the graphics card driver, sometimes sound and touchpad drivers (if they use special software, etc..)....other things like that. Also, some programs will only run on 32-bit os's (usually the most important ones you have...).
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#4 fleamour

fleamour
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 297 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2010 - 05:57 PM

@keyboardNinja

I wonder if any other factors could be causing your mum's laptop to be slower? Other forums report 64-bit as more responsive. I am trialling the 32-bit Release Candidate at the moment & it is way faster to boot to a usable desktop than XP, also very snappy & more responsive.

On a separate note, there is the option to change the product key under computer properties. Can I enter any valid key like off the boxed version I just bought? I'm thinking about my upgrade path from RC to full edition.

Edited by fleamour, 12 January 2010 - 05:58 PM.

#5 fleamour

fleamour
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 297 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2010 - 06:39 PM

Oh & can I install an OEM version of 7? It says OEM is for system builders only & should be preinstalled on the hard drive using the OEM Preinstallation Kit (OPK).

#6 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2010 - 07:17 PM

Did you check this link?

Running some 32 bit applications on a 64 bit OS could actually be slower. The additional overheads in running 32 bit software in 64 bit mode could cause a slight degradation in performance. It will take some time for 64 bit software to become the norm.

Can I enter any valid key like off the boxed version I just bought? I'm thinking about my upgrade path from RC to full edition.

I'm not sure, but I doubt it. The RC is still a beta. It is different than the boxed retail version you bought. You will need to do a clean install to migrate from RC to full retail version.

Oh & can I install an OEM version of 7? It says OEM is for system builders only & should be preinstalled on the hard drive using the OEM Preinstallation Kit (OPK)

I don't know how to install an OEM version of 7, so I can't say for sure. But if you bought the retail version, why bother trying to install OEM?

#7 fleamour

fleamour
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 297 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2010 - 10:01 AM

I don't know how to install an OEM version of 7, so I can't say for sure. But if you bought the retail version, why bother trying to install OEM?

That's the thing I bought OEM as cheaper. When you say retail version, all I'm seeing on ebuyer is "Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate - Complete package - 1 PC - DVD - 32/64-bit". Is this the retail version, in which case can it be installed more than once on different hardware if I choose to upgrade? I understand the OEM lives & dies with the motherboard, although small upgrades like CPU & HDDs & the like are OK.

Edited by fleamour, 13 January 2010 - 10:01 AM.

#8 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2010 - 12:19 PM

Yes, that "Complete Package" would be a full retail version. Like I said, I don't know much about OEM, so I don't have much to say about it. But if what you say is true about it living and dying with the motherboard, I guess that makes sense.

So what exactly do you have and what exactly are you wanting to know at this point? Just trying to see where this topic is going...

#9 fleamour

fleamour
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 297 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2010 - 02:26 PM

It's going nowhere really, that's all my questions answered. I ordered the OEM 64-bit by mistake, then ordered the OEM 32-bit, then decided to hedge my bets & order full retail version with both 64/32-bit. Two DVDs with one key (I think?) So if the world of computing goes 64-bit I should be able to upgrade.

Thanks!

:huh: :huh: :thumbup2:

#10 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2010 - 03:03 PM

Okay, great.