Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ICE Your Phones

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 23 August 2005 - 12:03 AM

Accidents and other medical emergencies happen. If you were the victim of an accident, how would paramedics, police, or other emergency or medical personnel know who they should contact?

That's where ICE comes in.

The ICE concept started in the United Kingdom and has begun spreading to the United States. ICE stands for "In Case of Emergency." Emergency responders are being trained to look for ICE listings in victim's cell phone contact directories to speed notification of the victim's spouse, parent, or other important contact.

Most of us who carry cell phones have dozens, sometimes hundreds of names and numbers stored. but in an emergency, there would be no way for a paramedic to know which of those names is the one to contact if we are incapacitated. That's where ICE comes in.

Simply create an entry named ICE, or several entries named ICE1, ICE 2, etc. with the numbers of those you want contacted, in the order you want them tried. For example, my ICE1 is my home number. My ICE2 is my wife's cell phone. ICE3 and ICE 4 are my son and daughter. If something were to happen to me, the paramedics can look for the ICE listings and in a matter of seconds be in contact with my family.

ICE numbers can even be entered into the speed dial listings of your home phones or, if your home phones don't have number storage, simply write it on a piece of paper and tape it to your phones.

(From the Backwoods Home Magazine
BHM Newsletter Volume 7 Number 8 August 21, 2005
Thanks and gratitude go out to East Anglian Ambulance Service paramedic Bob Brotchie who came up with the idea.)
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 23 August 2005 - 02:31 AM

Now that's, a good idea.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 luci2a

luci2a

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2005 - 03:23 AM

We have been doing this in the UK for some time now, but it has spawned a whole load of hoax chain emails saying that this can render your cell-phone vulnerable to viruses - not true.

http://www.snopes.com/crime/prevent/icephone.asp

The message from the urban myth site above also makes the sensible point that you should also enter the contact details on paper somewhere in your purse, in case any emergency worker finds difficulty accessing the contacts directory of an unknown cell phone.

Luci2a

#4 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 23 August 2005 - 05:48 AM

An absolutely brilliant idea!

Great find, Koan! :thumbsup:

Edited by Scarlett, 23 August 2005 - 05:49 AM.

Posted Image

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 23 August 2005 - 01:17 PM

Thanks for the link, luci2a.
Good info.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 luci2a

luci2a

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2005 - 04:51 PM

You're welcome :thumbsup:

Luci2a

#7 dunner56

dunner56

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2005 - 01:45 AM

I did this to my phone, and will try to convince GF to do the same. I got this in a e-mail weeks ago. Great idea...

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 25 August 2005 - 11:36 AM

One additional item to this good idea is this. For those who lock their phones. Write down the unlock code and any other pertinent instructions to operate your phone. Then tape that information to the identification you carry on your person. Since there are so many types of phones and ways to lock them. It would be virtually impossible for someone to know every application. Also it will save precious minutes in the event that it's really needed.

Be (ICE) Safe

Da Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#9 luci2a

luci2a

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2005 - 02:36 AM

We have made some little laminated cards, the size of a credit card, for my 94 year old, very independent mother to carry in her purse. They show her name and address, and our contact details. (we don't have ID cards in the UK - yet) She doesn't have a cell phone.

Now I must make some for the rest of us, also containing the ICE details we have in our phones, and how to access them - backing up both systems.

Hope it will never be necessary for them to be needed, but we feel more secure.

Luci2a :thumbsup:

#10 katiecalf

katiecalf

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2005 - 11:05 AM

Just came off an interstate highway in Illinois and on the overhead informational signs they are urging you to use ICE . I had no idea what they were talking about til I came on here and happened to see this post. I had not heard a thing about it before

Thanks!!!! :thumbsup: KoanYorel for your post or I would stil be in the dark
going to program all the families cell phones with ICE

#11 madnlooney

madnlooney

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2005 - 12:56 PM

ICE is a good idea but i think if someone need to contact someone from my mobile, home, mum and dad would be first to be called

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users