Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Different windows 7

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 jase_chiu

jase_chiu

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 12 January 2010 - 11:04 AM

Hi... I am using windows 7 home basic on an Acer Aspire. I was following the windows 7 tutorials where and how to change your desktop icons. It mentioned to right click on an empty space on the desktop and choose personalization. I did that and it didn't have "personalization" in my computer. Is it because I am using home basic or is it because of someother reason. I even tried navigating to the control panel but couldn't find it there either.
My guess would most probably be is that I am using home basic windows 7. But if anyone could help me out here to confirm my doubts, I'd be really glad.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mybuddyeric

mybuddyeric

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 12 January 2010 - 11:14 AM

Hi jase_chiu:

It sounds like you may be using Windows 7 Starter edition, not Home Basic. From ZDnet: http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=1031&pa...=col1;post-1031
Please press and hold the Windows "flag" key (the Windows logo), and press the 'Pause|Break' key. This will give you the edition of Windows 7 that you are using. Post back when you've confirmed!
fueled by coffee™

#3 jase_chiu

jase_chiu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2010 - 11:34 AM

Hi jase_chiu:

It sounds like you may be using Windows 7 Starter edition, not Home Basic. From ZDnet: http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=1031&pa...=col1;post-1031
Please press and hold the Windows "flag" key (the Windows logo), and press the 'Pause|Break' key. This will give you the edition of Windows 7 that you are using. Post back when you've confirmed!

Well, it seems to be home basic. I am afraid it's home basic.... tried to load a picture but just realized I didn't install Picasa.

#4 mybuddyeric

mybuddyeric

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2010 - 11:46 AM

My apologies, it seems like Windows 7 Home Basic is another edition that is unfortunately "stripped down" according to Microsoft's features list. Please try this workaround: hold the Windows "flag" key and type an 'R'. In the 'Run' dialog box, type in: control desk.cpl,,2
Type that exactly and post back to tell me your results. Good luck!
fueled by coffee™

#5 jase_chiu

jase_chiu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2010 - 11:52 AM

My apologies, it seems like Windows 7 Home Basic is another edition that is unfortunately "stripped down" according to Microsoft's features list. Please try this workaround: hold the Windows "flag" key and type an 'R'. In the 'Run' dialog box, type in: control desk.cpl,,2
Type that exactly and post back to tell me your results. Good luck!

Thank you for your trouble. I typed in exactly as you mentioned and I got this window of "window color and appearance" I am not sure if that made any sense. But just for your information I got this laptop with pre-installed windows 7 home basic. Probably like you said a "Stripped Down" Version unfortunately. :huh:

Edited by jase_chiu, 12 January 2010 - 11:53 AM.

#6 mybuddyeric

mybuddyeric

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2010 - 12:27 PM

Sorry to hear that jase_chiu. The only bright outlook I can offer is that if you're a student, you should look into upgrading your version of Windows 7 for a relatively cheap price. If not, you may be faced with the decision of shelling out $129 for a higher version or just living with your Home Basic version.
All the best.
fueled by coffee™

#7 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 12 January 2010 - 02:45 PM

Well, I thought Home Basic still had these features...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7_edi...omparison_chart

Upgrade disks are cheaper than full retail versions (but still a lot). Best of luck to you. :huh:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#8 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2010 - 02:55 PM

As keyboardNinja stated, Windows7 Basic allows for changing wallpaper. If you that option is not available, then you have Windows 7 Starter. There is no stripped down version of Basic.

#9 mybuddyeric

mybuddyeric

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2010 - 03:24 PM

Well then I guess this user is at a monetary decision, right? Would there be another explanation as to why this user cannot change background images? His access to my proposed "control desk.cpl,,2" solution tells me that he is not using Win7 Starter - did I miss something? He should be able to change his background, right?
fueled by coffee™

#10 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2010 - 04:08 PM

As keyboardNinja stated, Windows7 Basic allows for changing wallpaper. If you that option is not available, then you have Windows 7 Starter. There is no stripped down version of Basic.

That's what I thought....
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#11 jackprw1

jackprw1

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2010 - 02:45 AM

Windows 7 is best.Because it has better features then the other.And Windows 7 is a vast improvement from Vista as it takes up much less ram and has other optimizations such as fast booting times. I recommend Windows 7, and if you really don't want vista and don't want to wait for the final version of Windows 7, you can download a copy of the Release Candidate from the Microsoft website for free and use it up till June of 2010. I am working with the Release Candidate right now and so far I have absolutely no complaints, considering Im a heavy computer use with advanced software.

#12 jase_chiu

jase_chiu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2010 - 10:29 AM

Thank you all so much for your help. Right now, I cannot afford to buy an upgraded version of windows right now. Could you tell me an approximate amount it would cost me though?
Thanks
Regards,
Jase

#13 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2010 - 12:21 PM

Home Premium - $119.99